TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

1. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I think the problem goes beyond just that we are playing a small lineup. There’s no doubt that hasn’t helped. The 2014-2015 team was a pretty good model. Hewitt, Allsmiller, and Hughes at guard with Mathias and Wiedeman as the big men. That was our best team and if Matthias doesn’t get hurt I think we go to the dance.

But the shooting bad threes was a problem the last two years with Glenn in the lineup. Though we are seeing lots of zone, Quan has shown that when he wants to get to the basket, there’s very few people that are going to stop him. He’s also deadly with the mid-range shot. Also, Simeon Carter and Isaiah Crawley have both had good seasons. Our guard play has just been horrid. I don’t know that a seven footer would change that if the head coach can’t even get them to run the play he wants.
    Shooting the bad 3’s was a problem for that 2015 team, too, IIRC. We should have beaten State at home for the regular season championship and again in NOLA for the tournament championship.

In both games we saw what we are still seeing, desperate heaving of NBA 3’s (even after a TO) and missed FT’s.

Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    +1. No fire. No sense of urgency.
    and hasn't been for months. The basketball season isn't that long.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I think the problem goes beyond just that we are playing a small lineup. There’s no doubt that hasn’t helped. The 2014-2015 team was a pretty good model. Hewitt, Allsmiller, and Hughes at guard with Mathias and Wiedeman as the big men. That was our best team and if Matthias doesn’t get hurt I think we go to the dance.

But the shooting bad threes was a problem the last two years with Glenn in the lineup. Though we are seeing lots of zone, Quan has shown that when he wants to get to the basket, there’s very few people that are going to stop him. He’s also deadly with the mid-range shot. Also, Simeon Carter and Isaiah Crawley have both had good seasons. Our guard play has just been horrid. I don’t know that a seven footer would change that if the head coach can’t even get them to run the play he wants.
    if you have a 7' and a 6'8" wide body and they both have decent offensive skills you don't need to fire up 3's all night long. You feed the big boys from 15 feet in. Look at Ajyai of USA, does all his damage around and in the key(I'm sure I misspelled his name). The issue is you have to have a HC who's offensive scheme is to pound the ball into the paint EVERYTIME down the court(unless your on a fast break). 1st option pound the ball into paint, second option, slash/drive to rim, third, and last option fire up a three from a guy who is shooting 40-48% from three. And yes, some guys need to be told I don't want you shooting threes! GS does have a Basketball HC with that philosophy/scheme, she coaches our ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    What did EagleSkins use to say about Price in his last year?, "toast....put a fork in it"........(smile)
    Baked ham
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Baked ham
    it just might be in the oven but slow cooking, no AD. Probably two more seasons. Now we go on a run to end the season, may have to think about it. Unfortunately our longest win streak this season has been 3 games.

Set of steak knives
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Set of steak knives
    lol, thank you Don Pardo. Now who's are next contestant.(smile)

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    it just might be in the oven but slow cooking, no AD. Probably two more seasons. Now we go on a run to end the season, may have to think about it. Unfortunately our longest win streak this season has been 3 games.
    Byington's contract is good through the 2021-2022 season ... in other words, he has one more season to impress a new AD. One. He'll be coaching for a renewal/extension/pay-raise next year unless someone else picks him up from us.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

GagSt and us, both 5 point dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Byington's contract is good through the 2021-2022 season ... in other words, he has one more season to impress a new AD. One. He'll be coaching for a renewal/extension/pay-raise next year unless someone else picks him up from us.
    The new AD will be the key factor on Byington's contract. Unless the wheels fall off next year, most non-basketball AD's will look at his record and be good with it. He has done a solid job. Fans that have been watching know how much he has left on the table, but an outsider looking in won't see that. They see a coach with a solid record, good class room results, a well run program and a good guy that is very likeable.
    Every coaching job has a shelf life and I think CB knows the clock is running on his and will move on his own terms. I see him making a lateral move this off season or next.