TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern hires Brian Burg as head men's basketball coach

1. Default Re: Georgia Southern hires Brian Burg as head men's basketball coach

first off, you can not compare the CBI with the NIT. The CBI is pay for play... it's great, you get to play longer and in a post season tournament if your school has the money. The NIT is a somewhat worthy tournament. If you didn't make the big dance but made it to the NIT, you are an idiot if you wouldn't watch the game and cheer for your team... If you made the finals in NY NY, would you go. Some would and some wouldn't but it would be a great experience for the players and the fans that attended. I have been to MSG many times over the years. it is quite a place to play and watch games. No the NIT is not the NCAA tournament. it is a consolation tournament. But if your school gets to go... it is still pretty cool!!!

2. Default Re: Georgia Southern hires Brian Burg as head men's basketball coach

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    well they are used to playing in empty stadiums lol.

Still say the Baylor win is bigger than a NIT final. Making 3 NCAA's in 5? 7? years is what gets you recruits and national exposure. Ron Hunter was on national tv as a broadcaster because of the NCAA tournament, where was the NIT championship coach?
    Yeah I'd rather a 15-2 or 14-3 upset than a NIT final four.

Default Re: Georgia Southern hires Brian Burg as head men's basketball coach

I love how you went from this

Making the Not Invited Tournament isn't any different than the pay to play tournaments.
    to now trying comparing the NIT and the NCAA tournament. I think everyone agrees that the NIT is a shell of what it was at one time. (before the NCAA tournament expansion)
    but the pay to play tournaments are a joke as far as some being some type of accomplishment. You buy your way in, not earn your way in.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    I love how you went from this

to now trying comparing the NIT and the NCAA tournament. I think everyone agrees that the NIT is a shell of what it was at one time. (before the NCAA tournament expansion)
    but the pay to play tournaments are a joke as far as some being some type of accomplishment. You buy your way in, not earn your way in.
    IMO they are all a joke. Is it really earning your way in when the only reason some teams make it is because of an antritrust lawsuit settlement? So when the NCAA tournament was 32 or whatever when UCLA won 11 titles is not as big or prestigious as the NIT back in the 60's and 70's? Still waiting for someone to answer that or the Indiana undefeated season. The expansion to 64 was not until 1985, wasn't that the year Jimmy V and Nova won?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

IMO they are all a joke. Is it really earning your way in when the only reason some teams make it is because of an antritrust lawsuit settlement? So when the NCAA tournament was 32 or whatever when UCLA won 11 titles is not as big or prestigious as the NIT back in the 60's and 70's? Still waiting for someone to answer that or the Indiana undefeated season. The expansion to 64 was not until 1985, wasn't that the year Jimmy V and Nova won?
    most of us our talking today, not 1983, the NIT is still prestigious. You still didn't answer my question, GS playing in NIT finals in Garden, 2023, no big deal? As our boys hit the court that night we can sit around and belittle the NIT, the oldest post season college basketball tourney in the country.

6. Default Re: Georgia Southern hires Brian Burg as head men's basketball coach

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    Yeah I'd rather a 15-2 or 14-3 upset than a NIT final four.
    +1

But the reality is State had a 1st round draft pick make a circus shot at the buzzer to get that upset. While, arguably the best player we've had in a decade couldn't get us to a conference championship in any of 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    +1

But the reality is State had a 1st round draft pick make a circus shot at the buzzer to get that upset. While, arguably the best player we've had in a decade couldn't get us to a conference championship.
    very, very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    most of us our talking today, not 1983, the NIT is still prestigious. You still didn't answer my question, GS playing in NIT finals in Garden, 2023, no big deal? As our boys hit the court that night we can sit around and belittle the NIT, the oldest post season college basketball tourney in the country.
    Would I go? Likely yes. Still doesn't make it prestigious. We're number 69!! We're number 69!! NCAA's get around 70K for the Final Four and play in football stadiums.

Texas is a major P5 program, they were at 11% capacity at the NIT first round home game.
    2nd round 19%
    3rd found 24%
    Final Four at MSG 24%
    title game at MSG 20% (4K)

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    +1

But the reality is State had a 1st round draft pick make a circus shot at the buzzer to get that upset. While, arguably the best player we've had in a decade couldn't get us to a conference championship.
    State was down in that game by like 20 points and made a comeback at the end. At least that's how I remember it, not a back and forth game.

The NIT winner would beat half the teams in the NCAA, especially many of the automatic qualifiers.