TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: will their be a 2020 football season???? ;-(

Default Re: will their be a 2020 football season???? ;-(

I'm not choosing an option either way because too much changes daily and too much is still unknown about it. I would think that we should be able to have some semblance of a new normal by then and be back to school in the fall. We're still 4 1/2 - 5 months away from any of that.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

I think we have to be realistic. This thing is highly contagious and aggressive. And “we” are not going to self-quarantine for too long and continue to do what is right. People are going to want to get back their routine and will try to push for a return to normal. That will be the mistake.

I love CFB, but we need to focus on the task at hand and forgo this season. This pandemic is going to have 3-4 rounds before a vaccine or medication is identified. It’s going to hide out in isolated areas and then strike when we let our guard down.

We should forgo 2020 for all our sake.

As someone who spends multiple hours a day reading scientific papers about this thing, here's some things to know:

- There doesn't need to be a vaccine to resume some level of normalcy. The primary thing we need for that is testing. Test everyone often. Let them do it at home. Allows you to isolate the infected from the community while they recover.

- Future waves likely won't be as bad as the first, as the medical system will have more resources and better treatment options leftover from the first wave

- It's a slow mutating virus that doesn't show itself to be more drug resistant than your average virus. We're just waiting on a consensus on what drugs are best to use.

That said, I'm not optimistic about sports in 2020, primarily because of the travel involved.

now I'm depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    I think we have to be realistic. This thing is highly contagious and aggressive. And “we” are not going to self-quarantine for too long and continue to do what is right. People are going to want to get back their routine and will try to push for a return to normal. That will be the mistake.

I love CFB, but we need to focus on the task at hand and forgo this season. This pandemic is going to have 3-4 rounds before a vaccine or medication is identified. It’s going to hide out in isolated areas and then strike when we let our guard down.

We should forgo 2020 for all our sake.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but there was never a vaccine for previous pandemics, more of a containment.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Yeah, a vaccine is estimated to be 12-18 months away, probably closer to the 18, and that's optimistic. There's gonna have to be normalcy before a vaccine.

It's not really similar to the flu biologically at all. It's closest to SARS, although the original SARS virus was deadlier but didn't spread out of control.

Are y'all kidding?

No question. We will have a college football season. This SARS mess will be wrapped up by July 4th holiday.

That's definitely not impossible, but far from certain. There's so many logistics involved in holding a sports season. I think they'll be the last thing to come back.

Let’s be honest, if self-tests are provided, we are still not going to do what is right. Ppl will still try to work and not self-isolate. That will cause it to spread. But the saving grace may be the whether ppl are building immunity after they contract it. It that is the case then I agree that we will be ok once we get over the curve. But I think social distancing and quarantining is going to be our best method moving forward. So, I think 2020 may be ambitious for CFB and fall sports. It will have to without crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    As someone who spends multiple hours a day reading scientific papers about this thing, here's some things to know:

- There doesn't need to be a vaccine to resume some level of normalcy. The primary thing we need for that is testing. Test everyone often. Let them do it at home. Allows you to isolate the infected from the community while they recover.

- Future waves likely won't be as bad as the first, as the medical system will have more resources and better treatment options leftover from the first wave

- It's a slow mutating virus that doesn't show itself to be more drug resistant than your average virus. We're just waiting on a consensus on what drugs are best to use.

That said, I'm not optimistic about sports in 2020, primarily because of the travel involved.