TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 88 of 126 FirstFirst ... 8687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by gsueagle82 View Post
    I personally do not think they should play. All you have to do is be wrong one time on one of those offensive or defensive lineman and have one of them get sick and suffer life long consequences or even die and it would be something we would all be ashamed of. It’s a game to entertain people. They are college kids Paulson is not the Roman Colosseum to entertain romans. I would love for Georgia Southern to show some leadership and be one of the first to pull the plug. The ONLY teams that could even plausibly say they could play with some chance of controlling outbreaks are the service academies, the Citadel, where they can control their every move. We will start practice, but when the rest of the student body gets there does anyone really think our players are not going to be college kids and be at parties and gatherings. Risking a 21 year olds life so some old guys can eat bar-b-que and drink a few beers and watch a game, is NOT worth a kids life . They need to pull the plug. Preserve everyone’s eligibility and come back at it next year. It’s sad and amazing anyone is willing to take this risk.
    Hard to argue with this.

We do need to keep things in perspective.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Football is not just for our entertainment, its not just a game; it teaches lessons that the kids carry with them for life. Teamwork, discipline, perseverance, leadership, goal-setting, handling success and failure, time management, keeping fit and a free college education.
    I'm sorry, but for this year I find this philosophy excessively Panglossian. I could say that I hope the players don't have to learn the lesson of proper and subdued behavior at a virtual funeral, but I won't.

3. Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by tailgating fool View Post
    I'm sorry, but for this year I find this philosophy excessively Panglossian. I could say that I hope the players don't have to learn the lesson of proper and subdued behavior at a virtual funeral, but I won't.
    I also hope the players don’t have to learn that lesson, truly, but that doesn’t change the fact that sport provides more than just entertainment.

Let's be real, most of the players who are complaining that football season is going forward are going to be going to parties and not taking day-to-day precautions on a campus full of students who also won't be taking precautions.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

I personally do not think they should play. All you have to do is be wrong one time on one of those offensive or defensive lineman and have one of them get sick and suffer life long consequences or even die and it would be something we would all be ashamed of. It’s a game to entertain people. They are college kids Paulson is not the Roman Colosseum to entertain romans. I would love for Georgia Southern to show some leadership and be one of the first to pull the plug. The ONLY teams that could even plausibly say they could play with some chance of controlling outbreaks are the service academies, the Citadel, where they can control their every move. We will start practice, but when the rest of the student body gets there does anyone really think our players are not going to be college kids and be at parties and gatherings. Risking a 21 year olds life so some old guys can eat bar-b-que and drink a few beers and watch a game, is NOT worth a kids life . They need to pull the plug. Preserve everyone’s eligibility and come back at it next year. It’s sad and amazing anyone is willing to take this risk.

Can we pull the plug this year and have a next year to come back to? Can we pull the plug this year and have spring sports to come back to?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Like I said from day 1, either its 100% off or 100% on. No In between. This half a$$ crap is not going to cut it.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Can we pull the plug this year and have a next year to come back to? Can we pull the plug this year and have spring sports to come back to?
    NCAA D3 pulled the plug. Nothing will be “better” until at least 2022 (hopefully a vaccine in place). Can no D1 sports be played until Spring of 2022 and small budget D1 programs survive? Don’t get me wrong I’d go to GS games even if we were D3 non scholarship.

Not sure what all these “demands” of protection from Covid19 made by the players are coming from? Going to BiLo one can “catch” the virus. If the players are demanding a guarantee they won’t catch the virus well lots of luck with that demand.

Using this logic, we should shut down GS completely and maybe that’s what you’re advocating. This would have devastating effects to our school. Everything I’ve read says this virus does not have devastating effects to young, healthy people. I guess we’ll have to see what long-term implications are. However, if they’re going to be in school and at parties, there’s very little additional risk in playing football.

I don't think anyone who doesn't want to play should have to choose between their scholarship and taking the risk with the virus. But if you don't want to partake in team activities with other people who are going to be closely monitored for the disease then you have no business being on a college campus that's going to be full of 18-22 year olds whose concern about the disease is going to be small. Go back home and do online learning for the semester.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.