TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 50 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by Geech View Post
    5 of the 6 schools named won 14 games last year...total. Pratt Institute does not have a football team and with a 7-2 record Williams College accounted for half of the wins.
    I believe that you mistook what the thrust of the article pushed. For schools with small athletic budgets that don't count on their football teams or even athletics in general to present positive or minimally acceptable negative cash flows, the expense of managing CV19 spread on their the teams is too expensive for some of them to continue sports this fall season. The on field success of the teams isn't the guiding principle, and the majority of schools having judged the additional expense as problematic are schools that don't really invest in specific athletic scholarships.
    Consider the math: if the article is correct in its statement of test expense, the lowest quoted price is $40 per test. $40X100(? thinking Georgia Southern here) players once a week​ is expensive for any program. For a school like Morehouse with a total athletic budget of $2 million or a school such as West Texas A&M with a $10 million dollar overall budget, the additional expense of testing--and then only a socially distanced crowd to recapture cash--will be problematic. Even a school like UTC is uneasy. Hopefully batch testing would be effective, but right now...who knows.

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

I understood the premise of the article and your examples of schools that weekly testing would put at a financial disadvantage is spot on. I just thought that wealthier schools like Bowdoin (0-9 lost to Trinity 61-7) might have other reasons for eliminating their football programs.

Football other than the nfl is looking less likely by the day. Some schools will not play altogether and some will play a piecemeal schedule. itís possible we still at least start the year with that game at Boise only because there are fewer cases of the coof in Idaho than the number of potatoís you can fit in a wheelbarrow, but after that I think it goes off the rails in some fashion....

Error
    Billy Bennett
    Class of '78

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    Been gone for a month and still wondering why people haven't gotten the message. Contracting the Wuhan Sars virus isn't generally life threatening. Anticipate getting it and possibly experiencing flu-like symptoms. Panic over people.
    That said, because Universities will follow government, we'll be under some panic until everything is magically better on November 4.
    Nothing challenging you on this, just bringing a different perspective. I have been keeping count of people I know or who are one person removed from me who have died from COVID 19. I am up to 5 with two of the 5 a direct relationship. My wife has a long term lung condition, and I am overweight enough to worry about more than flu symptoms. I have continued our donations and purchased tickets (Sec 106 Beer Garden) even though I know I may not go to a single game - which while trying to keep my business afloat may show you where my priorities may be askew from where good sense should be at the moment. But there is right and there is wrong. For me, right is doing what ever we can as a community of Americans to save lives when we have it in our power to do so.
    Billy Bennett
    Class of '78

Some Big Ten Schools are leaning towards scrapping the season. According to this article, Michigan is very likely to cancel their games with Washington and Arkansas State.

https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/col...n-jim-harbaugh

Here is an good article (or bad depending on how you look at it) in Global Biodefense - bottom line, cities with pro sporting events have higher death rates from flu. I was a bit critical of the conclusions because a growing city, time of year etc. would also explain possible increases.. however they compared rates before and after teams arrived in the city and during times when sports were canceled for some reason.

https://globalbiodefense.com/2020/06...re-flu-deaths/

I suggest reading a few of the other articles (The whole town study was interesting to me) to get a feel for the quality of writing and data. It appears to be a professional magazine for infectious disease and bio hazard professionals
    Billy Bennett
    Class of '78

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Some Big Ten Schools are leaning towards scrapping the season. According to this article, Michigan is very likely to cancel their games with Washington and Arkansas State.

https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/col...n-jim-harbaugh
    Itís a very surreal time for us all. Difficult choices.

9. Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

USG now requiring face masks for all university campuses in GA for students, faculty, staff, visitors.

USG.edu

Not sure what will happen with college football in the Fall (although my guess is it ainít happening), this could at least make it a Spring option. I hate wearing masks, but yeah thereís science behind it working to keep the spread down. So yeah Iím cool with USG doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by blueisbest View Post
    USG now requiring face masks for all university campuses in GA for students, faculty, staff, visitors.

USG.edu

Not sure what will happen with college football in the Fall (although my guess is it ain’t happening), this could at least make it a Spring option. I hate wearing masks, but yeah there’s science behind it working to keep the spread down. So yeah I’m cool with USG doing this.
    read article the other day, that 95 pro style mask keeps you safe 95% of time, the everyday go to mask 65% and your bandanna/scarf wrap about 15% safe. Wear a mask and keep your fingers crossed.