TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Basketball Roster Makeover & Projections

Default Basketball Roster Makeover & Projections

With Coach Burg ALMOST being done with a complete overhaul of the basketball roster, I think we can take a look at some potential lineups for next year and begin to see what a two deep roster would look like. There is a lot of undertainty with the transfer situation and who may or may not get waivers but we will break down the three positions on the roster and take a look at what the season could look like at those positions.

PG/SG
    Returners: Zack Bryant *has yet to play
    Newcomers: Eric Boone, Grant Weatherford, Kamari Brown

The PG situation is one to watch for the season due to uncertainty surrounding last year's mid season transfer Zack Bryant (from what I've heard speculated but have yet to see an official confirmation on this) being out until Christmas. Eric Boone is the guy here if Bryant is indeed out until January. Boone is a solid all around JUCO guard out of John A. Logan College. He can shoot, he can defend, and is long. He can definitely distribute the basketball. He will be leaned on early to play a ton of minutes and essentially this should be his job to lose.

The commitment of Grant Weatherford today brings in an experienced PG/SG who can play the point and can play some off ball as well. I think you'll see him end up starting the year at the 2 and playing some backup PG until Bryant comes back and then end up playing mostly the 2. Weatherford isn't going to wow you with any one aspect of his game but he averaged 9.3 PPG, 5 Boards, & 3 Assists per game last year for IUPUI. He will be a steady senior who can give you flexibiltiy in the back court.

Kamari Brown is another newcomer who looks like a slasher that can also shoot. He's probably the most athletic player on the roster that should be a very good defensive player and probably the one you want to have guarding the other team's "guy". Brown came off the bench primarily at Panola College and I'd expect him to be that guy here as well. However, just because he comes off the bench doesn't mean I'm slighting him. With his defensive potential, we could be seeing him on the floor late.

Coming back around to who we started this preview with, Zack Bryant was a VERY good player at UAB and if he is here at the beginning of the year then this may look a little different. With his scoring ability, getting him back in January will be a HUGE boost to a team that needs depth in the backcourt. If he can play from game 1, then I think we may see him and Boone splitting time at the point but also playing some off ball as well. That would depend on how Coach Burg wants to run the offense and which one plays off better. Of course, you could have one or the other coming off the bench with the second unit. Ideally, for the long term picture, you would still like Boone to win the PG job and Bryant to fit in as the backup but also be the off ball guy. However, these positions will look to sort themselves out once we get a little more clarity on the Bryant situation.

Wing
    Returners: Elijah McCadden, David Viti
    Newcomers: Gedi Juozapaitis, Kaden Archie

The wing spot is probably the only position where you can safely project what to expect on this year's team. Both players have logged minutes for the Eagles. I don't expect either Juozapaitis or Archie to get waivers for their transfer but stranger things have happened with the NCAA.

Elijah McCadden should be leaned on heavily by Coach Burg to be a flex guy who can maybe play some small ball 4 against another team's small lineup. He's shown flashes of being able to be an upper echelon player in the Sun Belt but has yet to find the consistency. We really need him to take that next step and solidify the wing spot for the Eagles and take on a bigger scoring load this year.

David Viti was a spot play guy last year but will look to get more playing time this year out of necessity and hopefully it pays off for the Eagles. Viti was touted as a shooter out of high school but has only shown a few flashes of it. However, with the increase in playing time, we will hopefully see him take that next step and be able to force teams out of the zone and give our second unit a scoring threat. He will need to get better on the defensive end as well. This is a big season for him.

Gedi Juozapaitis is a plain and simple sharpshooter that we haven't had since Allsmiller. However, we most likely won't be seeing it until November 2021. He is a long wing that can score the basketball from behind the arc but also has shown the ability to slash. He will really add some nice depth to the wing spot and should give us a floor spacer.

Kaden Archie will be playing at his third school in three years which makes me feel that we won't be seeing him until November 2021 as well. He will be a big, physical, athletic defender that can play the three or four depending on the lineup. It will be up to Coach Burg to get it out of him because he was a very highly touted high school recruit that hasn't put it together yet.

PF/C

The front court is another huge question mark due to the uncertainty around the transfer situation. We will however start with the two we know will be able to play.

MacKenzie McFatten was redshirted and it was probably for the better as he needed to add bulk to his 6'8" 190 pound frame. We don't know much about him in terms of his progression since high school but he should play like the typical PF type. He's not a floor spacer but more of a dunk and rebound guy. You'll need to have someone at the four who can shoot a little when you play him. He's going to get his opportunity for sure this year with only a little depth here.

Its difficult to expect freshman bigs to really contribue right away but Cam Bryant will have to in some capacity. Based on his high school film he can shoot a little so you get some floor spacing qualitites out of him. At 6'7" 210 right now, he will need to continue to add some weight. However, like McFatten, he will be getting his shot due to the depth.

If there is a transfer that has a good shot at a waiver its probably Prince Toyambi with his injury history. Long story short if you haven't read it was that he had a cardiac procedure done that cost him his entire redshirt freshman season at Cincinnati. Coach Burg probably has a good indication that he will be able to get him eligible or else we probably would have seen our recruiting class unfold a little differently in that he'd have added another big who can play right away early on. Toyambi, provided he can play, will probably play the five. At 6'7" he is a little undersized but he is 230 pounds and should be able to anchor and grab boards and score on putbacks. If eligible, he's a favorite to start in my opinion.

Andrei Savrasov is a very different type player than the previous three guys mentioned in this position. Savrasov is more of a stretch four who can step back and pop threes. As a floor spacer, you can play him in big lineups at the four when you need to put a physical presence at the five against a team that has a big frontcourt. The problem is he will not be eligible unless he gets a waiver which is probably in the same realm as Gedi and Archie.

Ralueke Orizu is the mystery player on the roster I think to a lot of us who follow it closely. He played as a freshman at Savannah State and contributed. He heads to Eastern Washington and the coach touts him as a defensive anchor but will have to sit. He leaves there and heads to Statesboro and sits as a walk on. If we don't get waivers for any of our transfer forwards we will be looking at needing Orizu to give us minutes. At 6'9" he has the height to play the five. He is listed though at only 190 pounds so you have to hope he's gained a few.

Now that we've briefly covered the players on the roster, we will note that there is one scholarship to give. I've been pretty clear in stating that I expected the last ones to go to senior transfers and we saw one today. This one will probably be no different unless it goes to Orizu. Judging by the breakdown, this last spot needs to be a PF type that can mix it up in the paint in my opinion. We have two guys who can play two spots essentially and three if Toyambi gets his waiver. The other positions at least have backups. PF/C does not really. If he doesn't take a big, he has to take a wing. I'd expect we should see the last spot filled in the next two weeks and have a very clear picture of what the roster looks like.

As it stands now you are looking at:

PG: Eric Boone, Zack Bryant, Grant Weatherford
    SG: Grant Weatherford, Kamari Brown
    W: Elijah McCadden, David Viti
    PF: Cam Bryant
    PF: Mackenzie McFatten, Ralueke Orizu

Looking at the current configuration I think a big has to come from that last scholarship due to the uncertainty around the two PF transfers we do have. As soon as we get that last scholarship filled, we will fill in the details over on the recruting forum as quickly as they become available.

Default Re: Basketball Roster Makeover & Projections

Nice write up! Thanks. I’m hearing Gedi can fill it up!

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    With Coach Burg ALMOST being done with a complete overhaul of the basketball roster, I think we can take a look at some potential lineups for next year and begin to see what a two deep roster would look like. There is a lot of undertainty with the transfer situation and who may or may not get waivers but we will break down the three positions on the roster and take a look at what the season could look like at those positions.

PG/SG
    Returners: Zack Bryant *has yet to play
    Newcomers: Eric Boone, Grant Weatherford, Kamari Brown

The PG situation is one to watch for the season due to uncertainty surrounding last year's mid season transfer Zack Bryant (from what I've heard speculated but have yet to see an official confirmation on this) being out until Christmas. Eric Boone is the guy here if Bryant is indeed out until January. Boone is a solid all around JUCO guard out of John A. Logan College. He can shoot, he can defend, and is long. He can definitely distribute the basketball. He will be leaned on early to play a ton of minutes and essentially this should be his job to lose.

The commitment of Grant Weatherford today brings in an experienced PG/SG who can play the point and can play some off ball as well. I think you'll see him end up starting the year at the 2 and playing some backup PG until Bryant comes back and then end up playing mostly the 2. Weatherford isn't going to wow you with any one aspect of his game but he averaged 9.3 PPG, 5 Boards, & 3 Assists per game last year for IUPUI. He will be a steady senior who can give you flexibiltiy in the back court.

Kamari Brown is another newcomer who looks like a slasher that can also shoot. He's probably the most athletic player on the roster that should be a very good defensive player and probably the one you want to have guarding the other team's "guy". Brown came off the bench primarily at Panola College and I'd expect him to be that guy here as well. However, just because he comes off the bench doesn't mean I'm slighting him. With his defensive potential, we could be seeing him on the floor late.

Coming back around to who we started this preview with, Zack Bryant was a VERY good player at UAB and if he is here at the beginning of the year then this may look a little different. With his scoring ability, getting him back in January will be a HUGE boost to a team that needs depth in the backcourt. If he can play from game 1, then I think we may see him and Boone splitting time at the point but also playing some off ball as well. That would depend on how Coach Burg wants to run the offense and which one plays off better. Of course, you could have one or the other coming off the bench with the second unit. Ideally, for the long term picture, you would still like Boone to win the PG job and Bryant to fit in as the backup but also be the off ball guy. However, these positions will look to sort themselves out once we get a little more clarity on the Bryant situation.

Wing
    Returners: Elijah McCadden, David Viti
    Newcomers: Gedi Juozapaitis, Kaden Archie

The wing spot is probably the only position where you can safely project what to expect on this year's team. Both players have logged minutes for the Eagles. I don't expect either Juozapaitis or Archie to get waivers for their transfer but stranger things have happened with the NCAA.

Elijah McCadden should be leaned on heavily by Coach Burg to be a flex guy who can maybe play some small ball 4 against another team's small lineup. He's shown flashes of being able to be an upper echelon player in the Sun Belt but has yet to find the consistency. We really need him to take that next step and solidify the wing spot for the Eagles and take on a bigger scoring load this year.

David Viti was a spot play guy last year but will look to get more playing time this year out of necessity and hopefully it pays off for the Eagles. Viti was touted as a shooter out of high school but has only shown a few flashes of it. However, with the increase in playing time, we will hopefully see him take that next step and be able to force teams out of the zone and give our second unit a scoring threat. He will need to get better on the defensive end as well. This is a big season for him.

Gedi Juozapaitis is a plain and simple sharpshooter that we haven't had since Allsmiller. However, we most likely won't be seeing it until November 2021. He is a long wing that can score the basketball from behind the arc but also has shown the ability to slash. He will really add some nice depth to the wing spot and should give us a floor spacer.

Kaden Archie will be playing at his third school in three years which makes me feel that we won't be seeing him until November 2021 as well. He will be a big, physical, athletic defender that can play the three or four depending on the lineup. It will be up to Coach Burg to get it out of him because he was a very highly touted high school recruit that hasn't put it together yet.

PF/C

The front court is another huge question mark due to the uncertainty around the transfer situation. We will however start with the two we know will be able to play.

MacKenzie McFatten was redshirted and it was probably for the better as he needed to add bulk to his 6'8" 190 pound frame. We don't know much about him in terms of his progression since high school but he should play like the typical PF type. He's not a floor spacer but more of a dunk and rebound guy. You'll need to have someone at the four who can shoot a little when you play him. He's going to get his opportunity for sure this year with only a little depth here.

Its difficult to expect freshman bigs to really contribue right away but Cam Bryant will have to in some capacity. Based on his high school film he can shoot a little so you get some floor spacing qualitites out of him. At 6'7" 210 right now, he will need to continue to add some weight. However, like McFatten, he will be getting his shot due to the depth.

If there is a transfer that has a good shot at a waiver its probably Prince Toyambi with his injury history. Long story short if you haven't read it was that he had a cardiac procedure done that cost him his entire redshirt freshman season at Cincinnati. Coach Burg probably has a good indication that he will be able to get him eligible or else we probably would have seen our recruiting class unfold a little differently in that he'd have added another big who can play right away early on. Toyambi, provided he can play, will probably play the five. At 6'7" he is a little undersized but he is 230 pounds and should be able to anchor and grab boards and score on putbacks. If eligible, he's a favorite to start in my opinion.

Andrei Savrasov is a very different type player than the previous three guys mentioned in this position. Savrasov is more of a stretch four who can step back and pop threes. As a floor spacer, you can play him in big lineups at the four when you need to put a physical presence at the five against a team that has a big frontcourt. The problem is he will not be eligible unless he gets a waiver which is probably in the same realm as Gedi and Archie.

Ralueke Orizu is the mystery player on the roster I think to a lot of us who follow it closely. He played as a freshman at Savannah State and contributed. He heads to Eastern Washington and the coach touts him as a defensive anchor but will have to sit. He leaves there and heads to Statesboro and sits as a walk on. If we don't get waivers for any of our transfer forwards we will be looking at needing Orizu to give us minutes. At 6'9" he has the height to play the five. He is listed though at only 190 pounds so you have to hope he's gained a few.

Now that we've briefly covered the players on the roster, we will note that there is one scholarship to give. I've been pretty clear in stating that I expected the last ones to go to senior transfers and we saw one today. This one will probably be no different unless it goes to Orizu. Judging by the breakdown, this last spot needs to be a PF type that can mix it up in the paint in my opinion. We have two guys who can play two spots essentially and three if Toyambi gets his waiver. The other positions at least have backups. PF/C does not really. If he doesn't take a big, he has to take a wing. I'd expect we should see the last spot filled in the next two weeks and have a very clear picture of what the roster looks like.

As it stands now you are looking at:

PG: Eric Boone, Zack Bryant, Grant Weatherford
    SG: Grant Weatherford, Kamari Brown
    W: Elijah McCadden, David Viti
    PF: Cam Bryant
    PF: Mackenzie McFatten, Ralueke Orizu

Looking at the current configuration I think a big has to come from that last scholarship due to the uncertainty around the two PF transfers we do have. As soon as we get that last scholarship filled, we will fill in the details over on the recruting forum as quickly as they become available.
    good stuff, I’m also concerned about PF/C spot. I’m hoping his motion offense can “hide” that weakness untill our current kids can prove they can bang in there or Burg finds a couple that can. Man I’m already getting excited to see Burg coach and these kids play within his system.

Chad,

This write up helps a lot
    as someone who doesn’t know a whole lot about the intricacies of basketball
    other than I enjoy watching college basketball

I have been hoping to one day see a true big, real center
    I would love to see that play out at GS

But someone like Montae who was a forward and not a true Center played great his senior season
    I would be happy to have someone that could fill that role
    Last edited by GSUEYES; 24th May 2020 at 12:08 AM.
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    Chad,

But someone like Montae who was a forward and not a true Center played great his senior season
    yep Doc, a kid that can consistently go out and get a double double, 10+ points,10+ rebounds and play with a physically strong presence in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    Chad,

We don’t necessarily need a true center in the mold of a 7 footer but it would be nice to have a couple 6’9/10 bangers to play the 5 who can gobble up rebounds and rim run on the break.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    We don’t necessarily need a true center in the mold of a 7 footer but it would be nice to have a couple 6’9/10 bangers to play the 5 who can gobble up rebounds and rim run on the break.
    i understand

just think it would be fun to have one
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Thanks ChadWC. Good write up!

I too look forward to seeing how we round out the roster and what Coach Burg’s schemes look like out on the court.

Thanks Chad for the nice write up. Coach is off to a great start rebuidling from ground zero. It's clear he and his staff can recruit. If he can floor coach as well, I expect him to be doing special things in year 3 and 4. Coach Burg feels good about the waiver process and expects most of the guys to be on the court next season. If half of the new guys can play right out the gate, then we are looking at a competitive middle of the pack type team. If everyone gets in then we could be better than that.
    I guessing only 2 new guys will have to sit and Zack will end up being the best player on the team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Thanks Chad for the nice write up. Coach is off to a great start rebuidling from ground zero. It's clear he and his staff can recruit. If he can floor coach as well, I expect him to be doing special things in year 3 and 4. Coach Burg feels good about the waiver process and expects most of the guys to be on the court next season. If half of the new guys can play right out the gate, then we are looking at a competitive middle of the pack type team. If everyone gets in then we could be better than that.
    I guessing only 2 new guys will have to sit and Zack will end up being the best player on the team this season.
    I would think both the PF transfers have the best shot to play of the four. It would be great if they could. Get some experience for both and go into next year with an experienced frontcourt.

I'd feel pretty good about our chances if we can somehow get to eleven scholarship players available to play this year rather than nine or ten.