TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunsford extended through 2024

1. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

I think keeping CL is a good move.

We need continuity more than anything else.

It's tough to find examples of success amongst any programs which have anywhere near the turnover we do.

I'm also hoping we can hang onto Sloan. He is a very good one. Possibly HC material.

Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    CCL could go the Paul Johnson way or he could go the way of several head coaches we've hired from within the system or were part of the system that didn't work out. His first full season after the previous two gave much hope. Last year was so bad that we're all for the most part concerned. Recruiting was solid but from a ratings standpoint. SOO not sure about that just yet. Certainly could be some game changers with the outstanding in the right places. The Liberty fiasco still lingers. Hiring Ruse was a win for the off season. Crossing fingers this staff puts in the effort needed and then some.
    that Liberty game was sad.(to say it nicely)

3. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post

Yes.

And CL was likely responsible for some of the in-game decisions.

That 3rd and 2 inches was probably a bad spot. It should have been challenged. IDK. Can't make myself watch the game again.

And even if you can’t challenge it right there, put the ball in play and punch it through. That was favorable field position

Overall, our offense was just plain garbage. Not sure why we were so awful in that game, but we were capable for head and shoulders better than we did.

This single performance is what concerns me most. Most of last year could be a result of an offensive line in tatters.

The Liberty game was the most unprepared GS team relative to time available between games I've witnessed.

Could not have come at a more opportune moment for CCL yet inexplicable and lends itself to lack of organization and effort IMO.

Analysis paralysis comes to mind for most of the season and it showed up in big way for that game.

5. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

My take is that we have had difficulty with road games that we should win. We just don’t seem to travel well and I feel that most of that lies on the shoulders of the coaching staff.
    Last edited by TiftEagle; 1st June 2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Clarification

6. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by TiftEagle View Post
    My take is that we have had difficulty with road games that we should win. We just don’t seem to travel well and I am not sure that most of that lies on the shoulders of the coaching staff.
    I think that is an important observation.

Seems like the team gets so hyped from the energy at Paulson that when it's not there, they have real issues.

The rain games at Paulson weren't so great either. We pulled them out, but all those OTs against Coastal and freaking USA? Come on....

Seems to me that so much emphasis is put on Power of Paulson that it's counter productive. If Paulson ain't rocking, bad stuff tends to happen.

Perhaps we can shift to some new slogan. Built in Paulson, or Product of Paulson.... Something that implies we can take our magic elsewhere.

Slogans do matter.

I think we're not very talented on the offensive line and our offensive scheme is not a very good option scheme. It's a decent inside zone scheme and we have an awful passing attack. We're incredibly boring and incredibly average on that side. We're probably more talented on defense and we run a more competent scheme.

We play very conservative and don't do anything special on either side of the ball.

I don't doubt that we're in competent hands, I just don't expect anything special. Things can always shift though...Coaches can improve just like players.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I think we're not very talented on the offensive line and our offensive scheme is not a very good option scheme. It's a decent inside zone scheme and we have an awful passing attack. We're incredibly boring and incredibly average on that side. We're probably more talented on defense and we run a more competent scheme.

We play very conservative and don't do anything special on either side of the ball.

I don't doubt that we're in competent hands, I just don't expect anything special. Things can always shift though...Coaches can improve just like players.
    I think the majority of our offensive woes are directly tied to our lack of a consistent OL recruiting strategy between 2014-2017 and significant injuries/lost players on the OL. We simply could not block worth a flip last year, and were mediocre at best the year before. IMO, that had a lot to do with how vanilla we were calling plays because we simply couldn't dig too deep into the bag of tricks with the OL that we had left. If we had a consistent OL and still couldn't move the ball, then my opinion might be a little different. But it doesn't matter what play is called if the OL can't block and the play has no chance to develop.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I think the majority of our offensive woes are directly tied to our lack of a consistent OL recruiting strategy between 2014-2017 and significant injuries/lost players on the OL. We simply could not block worth a flip last year, and were mediocre at best the year before. IMO, that had a lot to do with how vanilla we were calling plays because we simply couldn't dig too deep into the bag of tricks with the OL that we had left. If we had a consistent OL and still couldn't move the ball, then my opinion might be a little different. But it doesn't matter what play is called if the OL can't block and the play has no chance to develop.
    +1, I’m sorry but without a very talented O-line no body is going to be an offensive juggernaut. Doesn’t matter the play calls, studs in the backfield, great throwing QB etc. No blocking?, no offense. It’s that simple. I’ve used Louisiana from last year as example, they led SBC in rushing but don’t forget, they had 2 O-line guys drafted in NFL. We find/develop some all league O-line guys we will be back, don’t find them, the more of the same. Don’t make this quantum physics, we all know football teams win games in THE TRENCHES. Our “trench” play has not been stellar over past season and a half. We will see this season, I would love to see a drastic improvement but ..............

+1, I’m sorry but without a very talented O-line no body is going to be an offensive juggernaut. Doesn’t matter the play calls, studs in the backfield, great throwing QB etc. No blocking?, no offense. It’s that simple. I’ve used Louisiana from last year as example, they led SBC in rushing but don’t forget, they had 2 O-line guys drafted in NFL. We find/develop some all league O-line guys we will be back, don’t find them, the more of the same. Don’t make this quantum physics, we all know football teams win games in THE TRENCHES. Our “trench” play has not been stellar over past season and a half. We will see this season, I would love to see a drastic improvement but ..............
    Dittos