TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Excitement

Default Re: Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I really feel like people don't give Scot Sloan and the defense enough credit. I was looking through some S&P data and the average offensive rating of the 12 FBS teams on our schedule last year was 54 with 6 teams in the top 43 and 9 in the top half of FBS. That's literally a low-end power 5 schedule (note I'm talking about the offenses we face). Even with the strongest schedule our defense has probably ever had it was still the best since moving up in yards per rush defense and second in yards per play defense right behind 2015. The offensive S&P average for 2015 was 68 with only 5 teams in the top half of the FBS. The good news is that even though Brinson and Vildor are gone we should finally have a pair of safeties with a year of starting experience, which I think will help a lot on passing defense. And like the OP said, the front 7 should be quite good. If corner and anchor linebacker don't create problems I think the defense will surprise a lot of people.

That said, the offense doesn't have the excuse of a really unusually difficult schedule (it's comparable to our other years in FBS). We need to hope the younger guys at OL are going to step up and replace some of the guys that have gotten significantly play time that ideally shouldn't really play much at all. I hope the pandemic doesn't stall their development too much. At the skill positions we are what we are and probably won't be that much better this season but maybe with tweaks on offense we'll utilize guys like Wes Kennedy and Khaleb Hood better than we have. And yes, I think some schematic changes to offense are coming from comments made during spring practice. I'd like to see us at least get back to being decent statistically.

I'm not excited, but there's real reasons for hope.
    I agree about Sloan. The run defense has been stout from day 1, which more times than not, you give yourself a chance when you can do that. The one thing we need to get better at is tempo. We looked lost too many times when these no huddle teams started moving on us. I don't know how Clemson does it, but they had all kinds of crazy blitz packages against tempo teams and weren't just sitting in a base defense. I'd love to see us be able to do something like that.

The offense also needs to hold up their end of the deal. I can't remember which game it was(maybe USA), but our defense nearly forced double digit 3 and outs and we still almost lost the game.

2. Default Re: Excitement

Definitely excited about the upcoming year. There's only one year I can remember where I wasn't looking forward to the season....

If I had seen a spring game I might be excited

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    I agree about Sloan. The run defense has been stout from day 1, which more times than not, you give yourself a chance when you can do that. The one thing we need to get better at is tempo. We looked lost too many times when these no huddle teams started moving on us. I don't know how Clemson does it, but they had all kinds of crazy blitz packages against tempo teams and weren't just sitting in a base defense. I'd love to see us be able to do something like that.

The offense also needs to hold up their end of the deal. I can't remember which game it was(maybe USA), but our defense nearly forced double digit 3 and outs and we still almost lost the game.
    Tempo and deep middle of the field.

That was our big weaknesses last year. We keep plays in front of us and manage tempo this year and our defense will be very very good.

And yea, against USA, they only had 4 first downs.....3 of them were TDs. They were 0-10 on 3rd down for the game. Offense just **** the bed.

I’m cautiously optimistic for next season but like someone already posted the bowl loss to Liberty inhale vigorouslyed a lot of my energy away going into the offseason. However we definitely have the talent and for once in way too long some coaching continuity to build off of so if we have football this fall I see us being competitive.

In fact, I wonder how much higher ranked app will be when we beat them again

Laying the ****tiest egg possible in the last game of the year doesn't really build confidence for the next season.

The offense needs to make a huge leap this year. Anything else is completely unacceptable. I've been patient....but we need to consider a different path on that side of the ball if we see another ****show this year.

For an option team we have WAY too many 3 and outs. And not scoring on our first drive in over 2 seasons is UNACCEPTABLE.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Laying the ****tiest egg possible in the last game of the year doesn't really build confidence for the next season.

The offense needs to make a huge leap this year. Anything else is completely unacceptable. I've been patient....but we need to consider a different path on that side of the ball if we see another ****show this year.

For an option team we have WAY too many 3 and outs. And not scoring on our first drive in over 2 seasons is UNACCEPTABLE.
    Werts could be a game changer if he comes out with the confidence he should have as a senior. He seems risk overs to the point of concern though. That's a redeeming trait but he needs to say screw it this year and just go with it. Whatever it takes to get that first down. Be damned with all the confusion. Ruse is a game changer and has most certainly been given the opportunity to share his thinking. He has a lot of it. Add the running back stable and a more prepared offensive line with more depth and we should have some fun playing football this year. Pumped is an understatement. Let's role this season!
    Last edited by EaglesFlyFBS; 1st June 2020 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    Werts could be a game changer if he comes out with the confidence he should have as a senior. He seems risk overs to the point of concern though. That's a redeeming trait but he needs to say screw it this year and just go with it. Whatever it takes to get that first down. Be damned with all the confusion. Ruse is a game changer and has most certainly been given the opportunity to share his thinking. He has a lot of it. Add the running back stable and a more prepared offensive line with more depth and we should have some fun playing football this year. Pumped is an understatement. Let's role this season!
    Gonna be vital to get Wright and Miller back on the offense too.

With the RB stable, I think we could actually benefit from moving Wright to TE/Cruiser, especially if we run a lot more 11 personnel. Wright isn't afraid of hitting folks on the edge. We need physicality and speed on the edge, been missing that. Here's hoping DJ Butler comes back cause he looked good last Spring, and Pelkinsson might need to play early too. His film showed a lot of good things with his blocking.

9. Default Re: Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    If I had seen a spring game I might be excited

Stop it....

If we won a NY6 bowl and beat everyone on our schedule for 5 years straight, you wouldn't be excited.....

(Unless Fritz came back.)

10. Default Re: Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

Exactly!

This "feeling out" nonsense absolutely MUST go!

3 & outs are out of control. I fully expect our defense to be nowhere near as good with Vildor and Brinson gone. We sure can't just lean back and expect that side of the ball to do awesome stuff as often.

I have liked CL since the start, but this season needs to look a LOT better. No kidding. We can't keep having stupid trouble on the road for no good reason. Troy and the Cure bowl looked like absolute hell . Like we had no plan at all.

Last season we got lucky. The rain games could have gone the other way. We seemed lucky to somehow escape with more than 4 wins. The first 4 games (other than Minn) looked absolutely horrible. As in almost TS level bad.

I think we have a focus problem. I truly hope CL can figure it out. I like the guy and want to see him succeed.