TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2016 Vs. 2020

Default Re: 2016 Vs. 2020

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    You mean they're not just going out there and crackin' skulls?
    Oh lord our defensive coordinator was so bad.

On offense had we hired ONLY David Dean we may have been OK.

2. Default Re: 2016 Vs. 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

You mean a fan coming out of the stands to fight the DC isn't normal?

Agree on Dean. He is a good coach and if he had control of the offense the whole season we may have been better.

As for the schedule and how we match up this year...I have no clue. Until I see signs of life on offense I am not going to expect more that what has been shown the last 2 seasons. I hope the OL will be better, but not sure how much better the play calling will be.

I support the program no matter what. At this point, I just hope there is a season.

Yep, our best bet that season was to have Dean running the offense with Upshaw at QB and something close to a 50/50 run-pass ratio. If we do that we probably sneak up on a bowl game at 6-6. We weren't going to run the ball successfully on anybody with that joke of an OL coach we had. The fact that somebody could come behind Davis and Atkins and literally destroy the OL over night is still simply amazing to me.

Well I mean our best bet was to bring in a coach that knew his A from a hole in the ground who hired a competent spread offense OC and utilized the stupid amount of talent we had. But once that ship had sailed what I posted above became our best chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Yep, our best bet that season was to have Dean running the offense with Upshaw at QB and something close to a 50/50 run-pass ratio. If we do that we probably sneak up on a bowl game at 6-6. We weren't going to run the ball successfully on anybody with that joke of an OL coach we had. The fact that somebody could come behind Davis and Atkins and literally destroy the OL over night is still simply amazing to me.

Well I mean our best bet was to bring in a coach that knew his A from a hole in the ground who hired a competent spread offense OC and utilized the stupid amount of talent we had. But once that ship had sailed what I posted above became our best chance.
    No offense to Favian, but Ellison actually played better than Upshaw in 2016. Too often, though, he was hamstrung by the coaches limiting him to an “option package” that wasn’t worth a damn.

This is from re-watching some 2016 film lately, not from memory. Ellison had “it,” even in 2016.

Otherwise, I agree (except for the ratio). There’s no reason that we couldn’t have run a generic “spread option” attack in 2016 had we begun building that in the spring.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    No offense to Favian, but Ellison actually played better than Upshaw in 2016. Too often, though, he was hamstrung by the coaches limiting him to an “option package” that wasn’t worth a damn.

This is from re-watching some 2016 film lately, not from memory. Ellison had “it,” even in 2016.

Otherwise, I agree (except for the ratio). There’s no reason that we couldn’t have run a generic “spread option” attack in 2016 had we begun building that in the spring.
    Agreed. Favian was a perfectly good QB, but I think Ellison was still better overall.

I'd take either.

David Dean alone could have squeezed a better offense out of that 2016 group.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

Agreed. Favian was a perfectly good QB, but I think Ellison was still better overall.

I'd take either.

David Dean alone could have squeezed a better offense out of that 2016 group.

I don’t disagree that Ellison was better. And I don’t disagree that he was relocated to a generic option package that put him behind the 8 ball more often that not. But I don’t think Ellison’s shoulder would have come close to holding up to throwing the ball ~250-300 times in a year. And that’s what I think we would have had to do to have a chance to be an above average offense. That’s why I said Upshaw.

I disagree that we could have ran a generic spread option attack with any success though. Our OL wasn’t nearly good enough. Which is a shame because with just a halfway decent OL coach and scheme we should have been able to sleepwalk to 9 wins that year running nothing but the most basic spread option attack.

*Also please don’t confuse this for me saying that we were going to light up the scoreboard doing this. We wouldn’t. But if Dean could have installed his offense that basically included simple zone read with air raid passing principles in the spring then by the fall I think it would have been better than that crap we trotted out.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 4th July 2020 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.