TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: #97 In The Country; #3 In The Sunbelt; What Do You Think?

1. Default Re: #97 In The Country; #3 In The Sunbelt; What Do You Think?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Where's App recruiting rankings? Also aren't they also based more on class size vs average stars? Meaning 10 80's = 800 points, and 23 72s = 1656.
    App is currently # 86, one spot ahead of Ark State and 2 spots behind Army. And yes no one has signed yet, we are talking about commitments.

Default Re: #97 In The Country; #3 In The Sunbelt; What Do You Think?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Recruiting rankings are worthless at our level, even on signing day . . . which is almost six months from now.
    I have read this a million times on this board and I generally agree but wouldn’t it be nice to not be at the bottom of these preliminary rankings for once?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    I have read this a million times on this board and I generally agree but wouldn’t it be nice to not be at the bottom of these preliminary rankings for once?
    I'd rather be at the top after signing day. Not 6 months ahead of it.

We likely have commits that aren't on 247. Has worked like that the last two years. That means 247 isn't accurate as to what our commit list looks like, so you can't take it at face value.

We do a good job marketing what we have and what we can offer without worrying about the ranking in July.

4. Default Re: #97 In The Country; #3 In The Sunbelt; What Do You Think?

don't worry, cl is great at recruiting top fcs level talent...werts is a perfect example!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I can’t blame much on Werts.

You put an NFL level QB behind our blocking and he would get buried half the time.

DeBeese runs a very basic offense-and doesn’t seem to realize that perimeter and downfield blocking are things.

Werts is one of our better QBs. He just has the misfortune of playing for our most anemic OC.

(I don’t think CL recruited Werts anyhow. I think that was Fritz...... If Fritz has stuck around and given Werts a good o-line and some damned blocking-we would be killing it every year. Werts is plenty good enough for us. We just aren’t giving him the best situation.)
    You must not remember Darrin Hinshaw if you think this is anemic.

Werts is an average GS starting QB. However, he has the misfortune of playing behind a very bad offensive line and a flawed scheme...both things are true.

I can't say Werts is better than Upshaw, Ellison, Gross, Hill, Revere, Williams, Ham, or Foster. Probably missing a few others.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 6th July 2020 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

Werts is an average GS starting QB. However, he has the misfortune of playing behind a very bad offensive line and a flawed scheme...both things are true.

I can't say Werts is better than Upshaw, Ellison, Gross, Hill, Revere, Williams, Ham, or Foster. Probably missing a few others.
    Hinshaw had some pretty dynamic offenses at Cincy. I'd say his problems were more HC influenced than anything.

But I can't disagree with the rest of what you're saying. Waiting to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Watching Lynn Bowden run all over defenses under Hinshaw’s direction in 2019 made me want to puke, though.
    Last edited by pete4256; 6th July 2020 at 08:52 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    It’s tough to say.

Ellison was an all-around better QB. Upshaw was a one-trick (but very fast) QB. (Everyone who saw him line up knew he wasn’t gonna throw-but you better believe he could burn anyone on the field if he found a hole.

Ellison also had a very, very good OL.

It’s almost unfair to judge Werts given the circumstances. I keep thinking of the Troy game and Liberty. Those two games looked really similar to me. Those guys figure out that all you have to do is blitz and crush the line every play, and nothing else matters.

Werts does have great athleticism, and a much better arm than is the norm for GS..... However, none of that matters when the opposing defense of setting up a picnic in your QB’s face about 2 seconds after each snap.

Shai is probably a good bit better than average in my book. We can see what he wants to do, what he knows he should do-but he can’t. No one could with the line collapsing and the most pathetic blocking I have ever seen.

Even if the line holds, and Werts gets a good head of steam running over for the pitch/keeper, you see 5 guys sliding over to cover the whole side. And our guys not blocking a single soul. That should not be happening. Certainly not 80% of the plays in a season
    I like Werts, and I agree that he’s better than Upshaw.

Calling him an “average” GS QB isn’t a criticism, though, when one considers how good our “average” QBs have been.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

9. Default Re: #97 In The Country; #3 In The Sunbelt; What Do You Think?

I know we mostly agree that polls and ratings don’t matter in the end, but at some point players are seeing this. As of today our recruiting class is rated by Rivals as dead last in the Sunbelt and # 117 in the nation. Most Belt teams have more recruits, and on average player ratings we are # 6 in the Belt behind App, AState, Louisiana, GagSt and Coastal. I hope CL is holding some big cards to show on signing day.

Back in the day, we recruited undersized guys, pretty much at every position and for the system we ran we were very successful, “runts try harder and GS Speed. Then we made the move to big is better......our best FBS team was all FCS recruits, interesting isn’t it.