TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Based on the fact that we’re not using veer blocking techniques. THAT was what opponents always complained about.

As long as we’re a zone-blocking team, why would defenses care whether we run the ball all the time? I mean, virtually every offense in college football runs IZ and read-option plays. They just don’t do it 80-85% of the time like we do. Are they really concerned that we use our H-Back different from everybody else?

What those P5 teams didn’t want was their defenders trying to dodge blocks below the waist by offensive linemen. That, however, is no longer fundamental to our offense.
    The Option heavy offense is still something that almost no one else does and is not something opposing teams want to waste time preparing for if they don't have to, regardless of blocking scheme.

Has nothing to do with fear, just something most coaches would not want to waste time on. Again, its not a specific reason its just that when compared to other G5 teams P5 schools would rather play someone and somewhere else.
    Hoping the new AD is able to use any connections he has to get P5 series scheduled, but if he can't do it in the next 2 or 3 years it won't be a huge deal. As long as we continue to schedule good G5 matchups with more regional opponents and keep at least 6 home games each year Im happy.

And Again this doesn't mean we just accept this and quit trying. I would be upset if we didn't try, but the other school has to want it to.

2. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Based on what? And why didn't UNM get a P5 home game scheduled while Bob DeBesse was there?
    Iím going to go out on limb and say nobody on the GS boards know the internal motivation and scheduling practices of UNM, that doesnít mean the answer is ďoption.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Iím going to go out on limb and say nobody on the GS boards know the internal scheduling practices of UNM. That doesnít mean the answer being ďoption.Ē
    In what way do we "know the internal scheduling practices" of GS but not UNM?

People are ignoring what is the best-fitting explanation either because of flexbone homerism or because they don't get that just because you have one down year doesn't mean people will assume you'll be down in 4-5 years.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

4. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    In what way do we "know the internal scheduling practices" of GS but not UNM?

People are ignoring what is the best-fitting explanation either because of flexbone homerism or because they don't get that just because you have one down year doesn't mean people will assume you'll be down in 4-5 years.
    Nobody here is an expert on our program either, but many have been involved with the program for 10, 20 and 30+ years, some have relationships with people in to the program and familiar with our tendencies.

Iím far from a flexbone homerist but even I canít jump to that conclusion why UNM didnít schedule a P5 series in that specific 4-5 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by trueeagle98 View Post
    The Option heavy offense is still something that almost no one else does and is not something opposing teams want to waste time preparing for if they don't have to, regardless of blocking scheme.

Has nothing to do with fear, just something most coaches would not want to waste time on. Again, its not a specific reason its just that when compared to other G5 teams P5 schools would rather play someone and somewhere else.
    Hoping the new AD is able to use any connections he has to get P5 series scheduled, but if he can't do it in the next 2 or 3 years it won't be a huge deal. As long as we continue to schedule good G5 matchups with more regional opponents and keep at least 6 home games each year Im happy.

And Again this doesn't mean we just accept this and quit trying. I would be upset if we didn't try, but the other school has to want it to.
    Like I said, what we do now just isnít that much of a unicorn compared to our old offense. Whereas virtually EVERYTHING was different about our old offense, now the main difference is our ratio of run to pass and how we scheme the cruiser.

Itís just not the same ďwaste of timeĒ that the flexbone supposedly was.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

The answer is TK.

He came from Kent St with almost no regional contacts.
    He's not exactly a people person to meet new contacts.
    He wouldn't accept a 2 for 1 deal.

I wouldn't be shocked if Benko lands a deal within his first year of normal operations.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

7. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by Hail The Blue View Post
    The answer is TK.

I wouldn't be shocked if Benko lands a deal within his first year of normal operations.
    This

Just my two cents, itís honestly not a huge deal for me that we havenít hosted a P5 yet. I get why many on here think it is a black mark for our program but we have some really good games coming up in the next few years with competitive G5 schools so Iím ok with that. I mean really, is it more exciting to host Kansas than Boise St or are we just more annoying/embarrassed by being the only G5 to have never hosted a P5? I think with most on here itís the latter.

9. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    Just my two cents, itís honestly not a huge deal for me that we havenít hosted a P5 yet. I get why many on here think it is a black mark for our program but we have some really good games coming up in the next few years with competitive G5 schools so Iím ok with that. I mean really, is it more exciting to host Kansas than Boise St or are we just more annoying/embarrassed by being the only G5 to have never hosted a P5? I think with most on here itís the latter.
    I really don't think many fans believe itís a big deal that we havenít hosted a P5 yet, and I know majority of the fan base is excited about the upcoming series with BSU, BYU & Houston.

But, whatís next, whatís after that? Will we go back to playing series against FAU & Ball State? I think most are just hoping we build on that momentum we have and continue to schedule notable opponents.

10. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by Hail The Blue View Post
    The answer is TK.

+1

Iíll also point out that I believe Kent State is literally the only other G5 program that has not recently played or scheduled a P5 home game, so itís not like TK had experience in that process to draw on.