TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ivy then Big Ten who is next?

Default Re: Ivy then Big Ten who is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    MSNBC is full time opinion the opposite of Fox. CNN has more news but evidently got tired of being attacked and has definitely taken sides this time around. Ah....but see how easy it would be to slide into a fun discussion of politics, media, etc. Gotta just exclude that for now I guess. Nobody's mind ever changes anyway. Not as the result of online arguments anyway.

I guess it’s what you want to consider politics and media. I don’t think CNN or Fox News are about either of those. They are about entertainment for ratings.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I guess it’s what you want to consider politics and media. I don’t think CNN or Fox News are about either of those. They are about entertainment for ratings.
    Any news organization that is for profit is part of the problem.

CNN and Fox both actually have legit, quality online content even if they have an inherent bias. Fox actually puts together some of the best/most reliable polling as well.

But the TV stuff....it's funny that people will complain all day long about how sports have been ruined by "the talking heads" and how they're terrible, but then eat out of the palm of TV "journalists." It's all the same, just focused on a different topic. Stop putting so much faith in all of them.

The suggestion that FOX is real news...laughable.

CNN/MSNBC/etc are trash now too...but FOX was the OG when it comes to totally giving up on legit news.

ALL of these networks are unwatchable now.

Wish there was a network that was straight news, totally unbiased, or at least made an attempt to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Wish there was a network that was straight news, totally unbiased, or at least made an attempt to be.
    I wonder if that's even possible. A person's definition of "bias" reflects a model of the world, and that varies a lot when you get to religion and politics. Google News can give you "straight news" online, because you can tell it to ignore sources you regard as biased. It will show you everything else, like articles from local newspaper web sites all over the country. But like I said, there may be no such thing as "no bias."

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I’m not sure how anyone still feels this way.
    Sorry I'm a bigger picture guy and IMO the absolute WORST thing is for us to hand over our freedoms, tank our economy, interrupt our food supply chain, create panic and put more people on the government dole for a virus that the overwhelming odds say you will survive if you're reasonably healthy. Far more deaths from violence, unrest, and just plain overstress will occur if we can't get back to normal soon and it's already starting. Civil unrest, tempers on the edge, not to mention families losing homes, employment, etc. and not being able to buy food, etc. is weighing on us heavily right now. IMO we absolutely should do everything possible to get back to "normal"- whatever that is, as soon as we can, even if we have to force the issue. Schools, football etc. are vital parts of getting back to "normal". All of the overzealous precautionary measures that we think are part of the "cure" may very well impact all of us far worse than the "disease".
    Now, do I believe masks, etc. should be worn to prevent the spread? Absolutely, at least until most of the danger has passed and a vaccine developed. Why? Because there is no freedom without responsibility. Should I be FORCED to wear a mask? No, not ever. That's where it crosses the line and you invade MY personal freedom. Should businesses be allowed to refuse service to me if I don't wear a mask? Sure, that's their right. If I want their services, I'll have to play by their rules. Same reason I put on a shirt and shoes before I go to Olive Garden. All I'm saying is the government shouldn't be able to FORCE me to do anything, but as a good citizen, I should feel compelled to do it anyway because I actually have a brain capable of thought, and I know in my feeble mind, it is the correct thing to do to protect myself and others. Granted there are douche bags out there that don't wear them citing whatever conspiracy theory that may or may not be true, citing freedom, etc. and that's absolutely their right. And while they may be misguided, they're probably still douchebags, because while they are screaming about exercising their freedom, they have completely forgotten about the responsibility part. Point is, government needs to spend more time educating about these things, and zero time legislating what should be common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    My wife observed that people who watch Fox News often watch ONLY Fox News. If they are on the web, they aren't jumping around to Reuters, BBC, or what have you. If you look at the Fox News home page right today, you will see almost no mention of ICUs nearing capacity in Florida, Texas, and Arizona, nor of Florida now looking worse that NY at its peak. It's almost as if there is no pandemic at all. It's really quite remarkable; you should head right over to their website and have a look.

They have a clear purpose in this sort of coverage, and it is having its effect, such as 40% of people in one political party refusing to wear masks.
    FTR, I don't watch fox, cnn, or any network that gives an opinion on either side of an issue. And that's pretty much all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    IMO the problem lies in the fact that these are 24 hour news stations. They have to fill all that time, and there is only so much real news you can report, so they have to fill the time with garbage/talking heads/opinion/etc. The way to fix it is to go back to a half hour national news at 6pm like back in the day. There isn't a lot of room for opinion when you have half an hour to get in the news, weather, and some sports. I know... it's a simplistic fix, but it's the best idea I can come up with.
    Drew Geer
    Georgia Southern University 1991-1995
    BA History

The closest thing you will find to unbiased TV news is the PBS Newshour every night at 6 pm. They do a very good job, very middle of the road on most things, not all, and they still do long form stories not just 2 minutes then talk back and forth with the heads in the studio.
    I read multiple sources for most stories to get multiple views, but sometimes there is really only one view.
    Fox News is a joke, it is not news, it is opinion with some wild ideas thrown in, MSNBC is the same on the other end of the spectrum, with the exception of a couple of people who, while left leaning, do an excellent job talking about the news of the day. CNN, gets a bad rap, and in many ways they have earned it, but for actual breaking news they are hard to beat for a national station. They have slipped into the personalities driving the bus plan as well, but when you have an actual event, they still beat the others butts.
    The reason for all this is easy to understand though, it is easier and cheaper to hire Tucker Carlson or Anderson Cooper to sit in a studio and talk than it is to actually go out and cover the news. If you do the news right, and actually check sources and go places it is an expensive thing to do and stories take a long time sometimes to come to light. Working in newspapers for years I learned that sometimes a good story just falls in your lap, but turning that idea or tip into an actual story is harder than you would think in most cases. It takes time, and trust and at times just guts to get the real story out, and even then, after all that work, about half the people that see it won't care, and of the half that does care, at least half of them will think you made it up, or are lying to make a splash. Doing journalism is not easy, doing good journalism is actually pretty hard and doing great journalism normally involves hard work, some creative ways of getting information from others, and a lot of luck.
    With all that being said, Covid is not a hoax, it is real, and it is dangerous, if you get it you might be fine, and you might not, and the way this virus is attacking different parts of the body on different people it is a different animal than just the flu.