TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong with Men's Soccer?

1. Default What's Wrong with Men's Soccer?

I know it's not a sport that generates very many clicks on this site, but we finished off the last decade with one winning season in 10 years (a 9-8 season in 2017). So far this season, we have yet to even score a point. It's disheartening to see a school like Georgia State beat SEC South Carolina by multiple points while we get shut out by the same team. Is it a recruiting issue? Coaching? Will Tormenta's new stadium help attract talent to the Boro?

Default Re: What's Wrong with Men's Soccer?

The coaching salary is very low. You get what you pay for, but at the same time soccer doesn't bring in much revenue. I don't know what standard pay is for a "G5" coach but pretty sure ours is well below average. We don't put much money into the program at all, so what do you expect? We got some bad teams together to form a conference and still couldn't win and get the NCAA auto bid, because we couldn't beat State. IMO if we have SEC/ACC resources football wise, we could afford to put more money toward a soccer head coach salary.

At least we have a stadium now, back when I was in school we played on a rec field. They were horrible back then too, and I say that having friends on the team. Women's started up in 1993? as a varsity sport, my roommate was actually the head coach when it was a club team.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I'd echo what Peat said. We are who we are. A mediocre program. We should have beaten South Carolina last year but we gave up late goal and it ended in a draw. And we should have probably been able to win at least one Sun Belt tournament. We faced tougher competition back in the SoCon.

A number of factors, 1) we play in a joke of a D1 “soccer “ conference (if you can even call it a conference) and this hurts recruiting. 2) we have never had a prolific scorer ie put ball in net frequently ie excitement to draw fans. 3) poor recruiting which I’m sure is related to minimal budget. Recruiting base needs to be greatly expanded to include the northeast. 4) a terrible soccer history which in turn hurts recruiting. Did I mention recruiting enough in my post?

5. Default Re: What's Wrong with Men's Soccer?

It seems like we could make some great strides if we just did a few things.

Our roster is full of players from all over even though Georgia High Schools / clubs are loaded with talent...recruiting in state would create pipelines and keep costs down for recruiting, saving on in state tuition and use of HOPE.

If we can’t afford to pay a coach top dollar we can provide him with the resources (dorms, food, fields) to hold camps and tournaments on campus ...and allow him to generate income for him and his staff.

Recruiting is about relationships with club teams with soccer. To do that you have to spend a lot of time at youth and high school aged tournaments on weekends, it is a tough thing to do because those coaches can be your best friend, until they get a top-notch talent on their team then they don't even know your name because they want those players to go to a top program if possible, that gives that club and club coach more visability, and that gets them better players and more offers to play in better tournaments etc. If you have a top-notch program it is pretty easy to keep it there, and if you don't have one it is really tough to move up because to win you need to players. You can recruit mostly locally, and if you can get the best players in your area then import a few "ringers" then you have a chance, but again that is tough because the top kids do not want to come to a lower level program.

7. Default Re: What's Wrong with Men's Soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I know it's not a sport that generates very many clicks on this site, but we finished off the last decade with one winning season in 10 years (a 9-8 season in 2017). So far this season, we have yet to even score a point. It's disheartening to see a school like Georgia State beat SEC South Carolina by multiple points while we get shut out by the same team. Is it a recruiting issue? Coaching? Will Tormenta's new stadium help attract talent to the Boro?
    South Carolina is C-USA for mens soccer.

8. Default Re: What's Wrong with Men's Soccer?

10. Default Re: What's Wrong with Men's Soccer?

College soccer had been dying a slow death for the last decade or so. That death is speeding up though in the last few years. Academies and a fast growing professional soccer infrastructure in the USA is changing soccer. There’s a reason schools are cutting it and teams are shifting into makeshift conferences.