TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Administration, Expansion, Feasability Study, Raising Money, etc << PLEASE READ >>

1. Exclamation Administration, Expansion, Feasability Study, Raising Money, etc << PLEASE READ >>

I would like to take this time to present a new perspective on the topics listed in the title of this thread. I am not posting this to support a decision, to support an administrator or group of administrators, to impose an agenda or to change anyone's mind. The sole reason for posting this is to present a perspective that may or may not have been provided before.

We all feel one way or another about a specific topic listed in the thread title. Some of us are pro FBS, some of us are pro FCS. Some of us are pro expand the stadium, some of us are pro maintain. Some of us are pro realease the study, some of us are pro "wait & see" & trust the decision. We all love GSU and want nothing but the best for the university. We're like a big scary family of fighting cousins. We can rip each other, but we are always united against others.

In case you are unaware, the Board of Regents will be meeting in the early fall to discuss budget cuts for all state colleges and universities. This meeting comes on the heels of the announcement that teacher furloughs are in effect across the state. The number 1 topic for the meeting is furloughing of BOR employees. Sadly, this would include all faculty and staff members at GSU. President Grube has addressed furloughs in the past. He has stated that he is committed to avoiding furloughs at all costs. From the stories that I have heard, he has fought tirelessly and fiercely against the state & BOR. However, he has recently become less confident in his stance that GSU will not furlough employees for "X" reason. There are several rumors floating around that are making many community members feel nervous.

The current economy has affected us all in one way or another. It would be redundant and would challenge the intelligence of this board to say that the number 1 factor in making any kind of changes to the athletic program is money.

As supporters, we don't have the answers. We only have questions, concerns and desires.

All I ask is for everyone to please take into consideration the scope of the decision that will soon be made. The decision to furlough university employees (if made) will not ruin GSU, prevent the Eagles from taking the field, or cause the school to shut down, but it will have a significant impact on the community and thousands of community members.

Thank you all for reading and I hope that some may find this to be meaningful or enlightening.

My $0.02 (FWIW): Objectively speaking -
    I have a very hard time envisioning a university president, university athletic director and head football coach standing at a podium in front of a somber crowd, who just found out they would lose a portion of their meager state wages in an effort to save the university money, announcing the results of an athletics feasability study.

"Thank you all for coming. I hope you that you all took the time on your unpaid day-off to review the new health care premiums and the impact the higher premiums may or may not have on your family. On a brighter note, it is with great honor that I present you all with the results of the athletics feasability study that the fine people at ABC Consulting began some time ago .... blah blah blah ... To summarize, it will cost our university $X in the first five years of the proposed transition to FBS and $Y in the following years to "keep up" and maintain. The majority of the money sought to make our dreams come true will come from the hardworking community members such as yourselves. Together, we can make this happen. Please don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity to support your school! Thank you all for your tireless support. We will be in the back of the room at the exits accepting preliminary donations. GO ___(university mascot here)S____!"

Silvereagle is that you?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

3. Default

Excellent post. The legislature is going into a called session to take another $1 billion out of the budget. All state employees will probably be expected to take furlough days each month. Obviously contributions to the boosters will probably drop as well. So 2009-2010 is going to be a lean year for higher eduction.

We still should be able to have the study made public, so we'll know how to prepare for the future when the economy improves. If attendence to our games is close to last year's we should count ourselves lucky.

Nice to see another point of view on the situation (and one I honestly wasn't taking into account). BUT...
    1. How long is this furlough supposed to last. They recently had to furlough certain sections at MUSC in Charleston. This was for only a short time and they actually had a fundraiser that raised enough money to offset the losses.

2. I don't think professors will be in too much trouble, but its the "little people" working for the unversity that are going to get hit thehardest. If this is just furloughs for professors then I don't think they will starve. Most make a very good salary, but it will hurt depending on how long the furlough is.

3. Those working for the local schools across Georgia will all be affected so a lot of communities will be hit. So maybe GSU loses a few dollars in donation do to this too.

4. The economy being in the tank isn't a new thing. So I wouldn't expect the pres. (new or current) to say that even though times are tough GSU will still go ahead with a move. If they feel they can raise the money then go for it, but more than likely they will release the results (whenever that is) and simply show what it'll take to move up and maybe a decision based on the current economy. They could say something like here's the results, here is what needs to happen for the move, but do to the poor economy and other factors we are going to wait before announcing any definite plans for such a move.

I just don't see it hurting anyone to release the results. If this was the federal govt. we'd all be demanding them to release the documents. This is a "public" institution and funded with public dollars (unless Baker paid for the whole thing by himself).
    Just One More Time!!!

In the news the other day, were mentions of cutbacks at MCG in Augusta. It's not the first time cuts have been discussed.

This is happening throughout the state. GSU as an entity, won't be immune.

That said, cutting back doesn't always equate to pulling back on the reigns or retreating entirely.

The hospital I work at just underwent a $40 million dollar budget slashing this past fiscal year, which resulted in the loss of nearly 250 positions. Despite the internal freeze we had on hiring and capital purchases, I was able to secure a major piece of equipment for my department (a $200,000 irradiator), because I was able to demonstrate to the hospital board of directors that it would pay for itself not only in the long run, but also in the short term. It helped that we were paying another entity a ridiculous sum to perform work we could do internally ... but the point is ... sometimes the most obvious solution is the best solution, even if it means a ton more in accountability, risk and liability.

Opportunities remain ... it may take creative thinking, but it can be done. You just have to put in the hard work to make it happen. I'm a firm believer that it can be applied across the board, whether you're talking sales, medicine or athletics.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    In the news the other day, were mentions of cutbacks at MCG in Augusta. It's not the first time cuts have been discussed.

This is happening throughout the state. GSU as an entity, won't be immune.

That said, cutting back doesn't always equate to pulling back on the reigns or retreating entirely.

The hospital I work at just underwent a $40 million dollar budget slashing this past fiscal year, which resulted in the loss of nearly 250 positions. Despite the internal freeze we had on hiring and capital purchases, I was able to secure a major piece of equipment for my department (a $200,000 irradiator), because I was able to demonstrate to the hospital board of directors that it would pay for itself not only in the long run, but also in the short term. It helped that we were paying another entity a ridiculous sum to perform work we could do internally ... but the point is ... sometimes the most obvious solution is the best solution, even if it means a ton more in accountability, risk and liability.

Opportunities remain ... it may take creative thinking, but it can be done. You just have to put in the hard work to make it happen. I'm a firm believer that it can be applied across the board, whether you're talking sales, medicine or athletics.
    So what you are trying to say is that by adding bowl seating in front of the Bishop building... we could be bring in more revenue from selling more tickets, pay for the seats within 3 years and start to make a profit??

or did I misread all of that...

7. Default

I just don't see it hurting anyone to release the results. If this was the federal govt. we'd all be demanding them to release the documents. This is a "public" institution and funded with public dollars (unless Baker paid for the whole thing by himself).

I could be wrong, but if the study is paid by the boosters, then it's private dollars that were used. At any rate apparently they're only going to release it if they absolutely have to.

8. Default

Many times many government entities and employees feel as if they should be immune to cutbacks. I have no problem with them arguing that fact. However, it's simple economics that when tax revenues fall, you either have to cut expenses or run deficits. A few furlough days are a small price to pay for many to avoid cutting jobs entirely. I have heard lot of teeth nashing over furloughs in the last week, and I am a little bothered by it. In the private sector, companies have been cutting back for a good while now. Government should not and is not immune. I'm sympathetic to the employees of all entities public and private. I've been through more than one rift in my life, and it's much harder to go find a new job than it is to take your kid to the park for a couple of days unpaid. Try to be optimistic and look at furloughs as a way of keeping the unemployment line short. The economy, just like the environment is cyclical, changes are constant. Real leadership has vision that looks beyond short term conditions and strives for a goal well into the future. However, as a great leader once said, never mistake a clear vision for a short distance.

To anyone facing furlough's, keep your chin up and you'll be back to work soon.

Quote Originally Posted by greyfacemask View Post
    I just don't see it hurting anyone to release the results.
    Agreed. Releasing the results hurts absolutely no one. The results of the study will simply say...(obviously paraphrased)

"It will cost $XX Million for Ga. Southern to move to I-A. After calculating and researching it is concluded that this is/is not a feasible move for Ga. Southern."

There is absolutely no good reason not to release the results fo the study, unless the study hasn't been completed.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    Agreed. Releasing the results hurts absolutely no one. The results of the study will simply say...(obviously paraphrased)

"It will cost $XX Million for Ga. Southern to move to I-A. After calculating and researching it is concluded that this is/is not a feasible move for Ga. Southern."

There is absolutely no good reason not to release the results fo the study, unless the study hasn't been completed.
    I doubt it will go that far. I'm betting it says "For GSU to be successful in FBS football, it will require, X,Y,Z". With no opinion stated whether to move or not.