TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Basketball to play SC this year

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    What you guys aren't understanding about the scheduling is that JEFF PRICE COULD HAVE SCHEDULED THESE SAME GAMES JUST AS EASILY. It's a basketball "money game". Like Garns pointed out, Savannah State plays a schedule full of them every year. The ONLY difference so far has nothing to do with connections. It has to do with CY saying "yes" to that many money games and Price saying "no".
    IMO if he did we'd have no home games. We struggle enough as it is, why else do you think we schedule DII games? How many of the major teams SSU plays on the road return the favor?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    What you guys aren't understanding about the scheduling is that JEFF PRICE COULD HAVE SCHEDULED THESE SAME GAMES JUST AS EASILY. It's a basketball "money game". Like Garns pointed out, Savannah State plays a schedule full of them every year. The ONLY difference so far has nothing to do with connections. It has to do with CY saying "yes" to that many money games and Price saying "no".
    And that's a good thing? I want a head coach that says yes and isn't afraid of challenges.

3. Default

I recall a comment from a few years back, "We can't get many big games on the schedule. They're afraid to play us."

Anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I recall a comment from a few years back, "We can't get many big games on the schedule. They're afraid to play us."

Anyone remember?
    For basketball? I don't recall, football I do recall. IMO Hanner is a outdated, so that's why teams don't want to play us.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    For basketball? I don't recall, football I do recall. IMO Hanner is a outdated, so that's why teams don't want to play us.
    No, it's not. What, are Citadel's and UNCG's arenas cutting edge? Everyone else in the conference gets big games at home. Most of the arenas in the conference are just as bad as ours.

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    I think one key aspect is being overlooked in this whole half v. skins back-and-forth. Before Jeff Price took over at GSU he coached at Lynn University while Charlton Young coached at Auburn and Georgia Tech. I'm no expert but I have to imagine a guy who coached for Cliff Ellis and Paul Hewitt will have more connections than a guy from a DII school. Jeff Price did a decent job scheduling while he was here and deserves credit, we played big boys like Duke, Florida, and Clemson; but he also had some pretty weak schedules in there as well. CY, only 6 months into his first head coaching job, wrangled 4 games against big name opponents (all of them winnable too) and 4 decent recruits, that's impressive to me. Everybody, not just people on this board, says CY knows how to recruit; I never heard Mark Schlabach gushing about how great a recruiter Jeff Price was. With CY I get the sense that we are seeing the tip of the iceberg, while after 10 years of Price you get the feeling we've seen all there is.
    I am right there with you! It's like the old phrase, "it's who you know" more than what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    I do...

Also...Did Wofford build a new basketball arena? I wonder b/c their gym has got to be smaller than Hanner and yet they're hosting S. Carolina.
    To answer your question, no, Wofford has not built a new arena recently. They still play in 3500 seat Ben Johnson Arena. But South Carolina lately seems to be willing to travel to schools all around the state. Their baseball team has done that for years.