TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Coach C.Y. in Savannah

Default Coach C.Y. in Savannah

I went and saw Coach C.Y. talk at the Savannah Eagle Club lunch today.

I am glad we got him as a coach. You can really tell he's got a passion for GSU. He really focused on how GSU needs to get their swagger back. Talked about how erk and the football team could go anywhere and get respect because of the way they played, and how they held themselves up with that confidence. he said he was trying really hard to bring that back to GSU with the bball team. He seems very confident about our chances this year and he was really excited about the 4 (waiting on a 5th) commit he's got for next year.

He mentioned that the type of kids they were looking for were winners. Kids that played on championship teams, kids that won 85% of their games. He said they would rather take the 15ppg kid from a championship team then a kid that scores 35ppg on a team with a bad losing record. He was really focusing on the guys playing as a team. He basically said if anyone got selfish he would pretty much kick them out of practice. He won't let one selfish player bring down the rest of the team.

other notes on the day:

Food was awesome!

Don't leave your debit card at Johnny Harris as you try to rush out the door to get back to work after a two hour lunch!

Default Re: Coach C.Y. in Savannah

Good summary. I was there too. Coach Young is a great ambassador for Georgia Southern. He will change the trajectory of our program for sure.

The Duke

By far Sammy's greatest hire. Can't wait for bball season. I think we will be very good this year.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...asp?CID=987038

We certainly don't have very high expectations outside Eagle Nation. Yahoo/Rivals Sports ranked us preseason #302 in the country, 1 spot ahead of Savannah State. I've flipped through a few preview magazines and both Lindy's and Athlon had us ranked last in the SoCon, another had us 5th in our division.

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...asp?CID=987038

We certainly don't have very high expectations outside Eagle Nation. Yahoo/Rivals Sports ranked us preseason #302 in the country, 1 spot ahead of Savannah State. I've flipped through a few preview magazines and both Lindy's and Athlon had us ranked last in the SoCon, another had us 5th in our division.
    Not suprising. Most of these rankings probably don't do too much research once they get into the conferences the level of the Southern Conference. All they see is a team with 8 wins last year. Personally I see a team that could easily double that.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Not suprising. Most of these rankings probably don't do too much research once they get into the conferences the level of the Southern Conference. All they see is a team with 8 wins last year. Personally I see a team that could easily double that.
    That's about right, 15-18 wins or so is about my level of expectation. We just can't have any injuries particularly to the big guys because we don't have a lot of depth.

CY IMO, will get the best out of what we got, after 3 years of his recruiting, LOOK OUT. And I'm not just talking about SOCON wins, I expect some noise at the "dance". I see us being like a Siena of the South.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    CY IMO, will get the best out of what we got, after 3 years of his recruiting, LOOK OUT. And I'm not just talking about SOCON wins, I expect some noise at the "dance". I see us being like a Siena of the South.
    I see us as the Zags of the south. Aim high.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskins View Post
    I see us as the Zags of the south. Aim high.
    Since we are aiming high. Watch out Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas and any other "big dog" that we jump on! Here come the eagles flying high.

Success on our level is always predicated on having some bigs who can bang and score down low. I know its like that on every level, but not many schools like GSU can get the 6'8 and 6'9 guys who can score. We will always have quick guards. Usually undersized...but quick none the less. CY looks to be recruiting athletic wing players. I just hope he pulls in a couple of hog mollies to go down low in the next year or two. Even if you have to go the JUCO route for a big...as long as we get in high school kids to surround him with, I can live with one JUCO big man a year coming in.