TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where did GATA originate?

Default Re: Where did GATA originate?

They definately still wear the TEAM me shirts. I see them all the time around campus. I saw a guy wearing a Samford football shirt with GATA on it. Made me want to throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    They definately still wear the TEAM me shirts. I see them all the time around campus. I saw a guy wearing a Samford football shirt with GATA on it. Made me want to throw up.
    The Samford shirt was TEAM me.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    The Samford shirt was TEAM me.
    Nah, those might be floating around too but this one said GATA. No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Nah, those might be floating around too but this one said GATA. No doubt.
    Well that's remarkably interesting
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    There's a few I'm not sure what they mean, (#6,11,13):
    6. Timbuktu
    11. Mambo Gook
    13. KYAOOTA
    Timbuktu: 85 NC game, Erk is explaining the difference between "Blue Collar" GS and "I-AA Royalty" Furman. Erk's book page 189-190
    Quote Originally Posted by ERK
    These two men met St. Peter at the Pearly gates at the same time. St. Peter asked each what he had done on earth as an occupation. The first guy stepped forward and proudly stated he was a poet. And he really was. He had published several important works (This was Furman)

The 2nd man timidly said he was a poet too. But then he began to wonder "Why the hell did I say I was a poet?" He had done a few limerics in his time but that was all (This was Ga Southern)

Old St. Pete said "Before I let you in, each of you must recite a short poem using the word Timbuktu.

Without hesitation the 1st man came forth with...

As I walked along the shore
    And heard the mighty breakers roar
    A sailing ship came passing through
    It's destination... Timbuktu!

St. Peter stood in awe. "That was great" then St. Pete turned to the other guy. "Now it's your turn" again the 2nd man was asking himself "Why did I say I was a poet?" There he was calling on all resources available. Help me!

And then it came to him and he blurted out...

As Tim and I a walking went
    We saw three maidens in a tent
    Since they were three and we were two,
    I buck one and Timbuktu.

The point of this story is that if one wants to get the job done badly enough, he will always find a way. Hopefully, we could find a way to beat Furman. Hopefully we had a "bad case of the wants"

Mambo Gook: Erk's book p50-51
    Quote Originally Posted by ERK
    We had two weeks to prepare for the Yellow Britches and we needed to prepare well. Tech was going to a bowl. Georgia wasn't. It was our last chance to prevent a break-even season and salvage a winning one. I even went back and pulled "Mambo Gook" out one more time. Usually, I just told it before the season began, but we needed something extra.

On defense, each player has a primary area of responsibility. For example, the defensive end's first responsibility was the "eight hole." The linebacker had the "four hole." We expressed areas of responsibilities for every position in terms of "hole numbers." There was rarely a time during the next 17 years that someone did not write in big letters on the blackboard prior to the game, "Mambo Gook."

The "Mambo Gook" story goes like this: A young Georgia Tech engineering graduate had been working in the oil fields of Saudi Arabia for around six months. He was about to go stark raving mad because the only women that he had seen in Arabia were those who were dressed in the long gowns with veils covering their faces. The women were not very friendly at all. As a matter of fact, he hadn't spoken to one since he had been working there.

He had been used to the feminine pulchritude of Peachtree Street in Atlanta and missed that scenery and his feminine companionship more than else. As he was sitting in the little bar at the golf course there Saudi Arabia, he happened to be seated next to one of the local sheiks. This particular sheik had spent some time in the United States and conversed with the young engineer as best he could with the little English he could speak. As they sipped on their drinks the young engineer expressed to the sheik that he liked everything fine, except he really missed the feminine companionship that he once enjoyed back in Atlanta. The sheik could get enough out of that conversation to understand what the young man meant. He promised the engineer that he would have, from his harem, one of his wives waiting for him when he got off from work the following afternoon.

Well, the young engineer hustled and worked through the day. He could hardly wait until quitting time. As he approached his tent, he saw this woman standing out front with her long gowns and veil. He figured that she knew why she was there and he surely knew why she was there, so he wouldn't waste any time. He picked her up right there at the tent flap, rushed her inside, threw her down on the cot and commenced to making wild, passionate love to the woman. Immediately she began to shout, "Mambo Gook," "Mambo Gook." She repeated that over and over and over again. The young engineer figured this was an Arabian, expression of ecstasy.

Well, it didn't take too long for the young man to finish the first round and as soon as he relaxed his grasp, the woman still screaming, "Mambo Gook," ran through the tent flap and disappeared across the desert, continuing to scream, "Mambo Gook."

The next day the young engineer and the local sheik had made arrangements to play golf and the young engineer wanted a chance to thank the sheik for his courtesy of having the woman there. As they played the first hole, the sheik hit a magnificent shot, straight to the green, the ball hit, bounced and rolled right into the cup. It was a great golf shot and the young engineer wanted to express the greatness of that shot with something more than the usual, "Nice shot," or, "Great shot." The thought of the Arabian expression of ecstasy occurred to him, and he said, "Mambo Gook, sheik, Mambo Gook.".

The sheik turned to him, looked at him with amazement and said, "What do you mean, wrong hole?"

The point of this story was that as you line up to play defense you're thinking to the opposition, "If you think you're coming my way, that's the wrong hole brother, because you ain't gonna make nothin' here."
    KYAOOTA: (Erk's book, page 198) After getting penalties for being on the field during gameplay (@WKU Game in 86), Erk instituted KYAOOTA. "Kie-ah-oo-tah" It stood for "Keep Your A** Out Of This Area" If someone yelled it, the players and coaches knew to back off the field.
    Mike Younce
    2001 - Bachelor of Science in Printing Management
    2003 - Master of Technology
    Brunswick, Georgia

I remember the first time Erk told us the pearly gate joke in a team meeting. The whole team was on the floor laughing. The joke wouldnt be that funny with anyone else telling it but when Erk did it was hilarious. These strories or jokes he would tell would come at a time during team meetings when we would be dredding going out to practice and by the time it was over everyone was in a great mood ready to go practice. He was great at motivatiing.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

I believe when Erk was playing Georgia Tech one year as a coach with the School to the North, he saw a sign in the locker room that said GATA - Georgia Tech Athletics.

The light went on and the rest is history.

8. Default Re: Where did GATA originate?

The expression GATA has been around at least 40 years...when i played on the Statesboro High 12-1 team in 1970 we said GATA as we clapped our hands and broke the defensive huddle...I always thought that it originated at Georgia and maybe ERK started it there(he was coaching at UGA then)...Ask the owner of Snooky's...he played at Georgia in the 60's on the offensive line I believe..GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!GO BIG BLUE!!!GO GEORGIA SOUTHERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Default Re: Where did GATA originate?

Thanks for the explanation. I don't have Erk's book. That's some awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinterEagle View Post
    Timbuktu: 85 NC game, Erk is explaining the difference between "Blue Collar" GS and "I-AA Royalty" Furman. Erk's book page 189-190

Mambo Gook: Erk's book p50-51

KYAOOTA: (Erk's book, page 198) After getting penalties for being on the field during gameplay (@WKU Game in 86), Erk instituted KYAOOTA. "Kie-ah-oo-tah" It stood for "Keep Your A** Out Of This Area" If someone yelled it, the players and coaches knew to back off the field.

10. Default Re: Where did GATA originate?

When I am feeling a little overwhelmed and need a good laugh, I always pull out "the book' and read a little. It is so funny and uplifting. I. too, miss him very much.