TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What It Will Take to Move Up

Default What It Will Take to Move Up

Were Georgia Southern to make a move up in classification to the FBS division today, how many conferences would come calling? One? Two? Are we sure ANYONE would consider adding us to their lineup?

It is going to take a lot of work for us to become attractive to the Sun Belts, CUSAs and Big Easts of the world. Take a look at what North Texas has been working on for the past 6 or 7 years to prepare themselves for the current round of realignment that has just started.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedconten....99ce275d.html

They've done all this work with no guarantee of making a move. It is not all in vain, because they have put together a very fine athletic program and have facilities that will serve their student-athletes for many years to come.

So, are we all ready to get out our checkbooks and EACH make a $2,500-$15,0000 capital campaign contribution . . . while at the same time continuing our yearly annual Eagle Fund donations? That's what it's gonna take, a one-time Capital contribution for growth items and our yearly donations to fund everything else.

Here's my pledge. If there is an Expansion and Growth plan put together and presented to alumni and boosters, and we have enthusiastic, dedicated and knowledgeable leaders within our Athletic Department directing the efforts, I'll gladly pull out my checkbook and write a big check.

How 'bout you? If North Texas can do it there is absolutely no reason that Georgia Southern can do it . . . and do it better!

Last edited by gatadotcom; 13th June 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Default Re: What It Will Take to Move Up

No. The simple fact of the matter lies in these items:
    1) We happen to be in a bad economic situation in the current time.
    2) Not saying they're related, but no one wants to pay for the move.
    3) Our administration is happy where we are.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    3) Our administration is happy where we are.
    Actually we don't know how Dr Keel feels about this.

Spoken like a true twenty something.

1) "We happen to be in a bad economic situation in the current time."

Do you have anything to compare the current situation? I didn't think so. For you kids out there; this is the best time to invest, whether stocks, homes, or GSU athletics. It can't get any worse. You are on the ground floor and everything will only go up.

2) "Not saying they're related, but no one wants to pay for the move."

I thought the so called report stated alumni and fans supported a move? All it takes is an engaged administration and contributions will come out of the woodworks.

3) "Our administration is happy where we are. "

Maybe the previous administration. Dr Keel sounds as if he would be for a move.

Quote Originally Posted by ks eagle 76 View Post
    Spoken like a true twenty something.

1) "We happen to be in a bad economic situation in the current time."

Do you have anything to compare the current situation? I didn't think so. For you kids out there; this is the best time to invest, whether stocks, homes, or GSU athletics. It can't get any worse. You are on the ground floor and everything will only go up.
    1. Do you have anything to compare the current situation?
    Yes, It's called HISTORY. Recent and long term.

2. It is the best time to invest...but out of stocks, homes, and GSU athletics, well let's just say that one of these things is not like the other.

3. It can't get any worse.
    It most definetely can. And even if it doesn't get any worse, if it doesn't get any better then that's just the same as getting worse.

You are going to be screwed when I hit 30 and "get smart".

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    1. Do you have anything to compare the current situation?
    Yes, It's called HISTORY. Recent and long term.

2. It is the best time to invest...but out of stocks, homes, and GSU athletics, well let's just say that one of these things is not like the other.

3. It can't get any worse.
    It most definetely can. And even if it doesn't get any worse, if it doesn't get any better then that's just the same as getting worse.

1.Yes, It's called HISTORY. Recent and long term.

You need to bone up on your history.

GSU athletics are a cheap buy in, just like the others.

3. And even if it doesn't get any worse, if it doesn't get any better then that's just the same as getting worse.

makes no sense at all.

You prove time after time you have no idea of the real world. Keep reading Suzie Orman and Clark Howard.

Please keep your posts on-topic.

And stop bickering with each other. If you choose to do this, please do it in PMs.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gatadotcom View Post
    Were Georgia Southern to make a move up in classification to the FBS division today, how many conferences would come calling? One? Two? Are we sure ANYONE would consider adding us to their lineup?

It is going to take a lot of work for us to become attractive to the Sun Belts, CUSAs and Big Easts of the world. Take a look at what North Texas has been working on for the past 6 or 7 years to prepare themselves for the current round of realignment that has just started.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedconten....99ce275d.html

They've done all this work with no guarantee of making a move. It is not all in vain, because they have put together a very fine athletic program and have facilities that will serve their student-athletes for many years to come.

So, are we all ready to get out our checkbooks and EACH make a $2,500-$15,0000 capital campaign contribution . . . while at the same time continuing our yearly annual Eagle Fund donations? That's what it's gonna take, a one-time Capital contribution for growth items and our yearly donations to fund everything else.

Here's my pledge. If there is an Expansion and Growth plan put together and presented to alumni and boosters, and we have enthusiastic, dedicated and knowledge leaders within our Athletic Department directing the efforts, I'll gladly pull out my checkbook and write a big check.

How 'bout you? If North Texas can do it there is absolutely no reason that Georgia Southern can do it . . . and do it better!

I'll certainly write a check. Would probably be able to get in the 2k to $2500 range.

9. Default Re: What It Will Take to Move Up

JMOfartO:

Well, personally I'd be happy just to get the football program back to respectability in the division we are presently in...

I don't think the issue of "going up", for most GSU fans, is nearly as important as the issue of getting back to prominence in the SOCON at this point.

Just personal opinion, no offense.

Jesse
    Laus Deo

First we need an AD who doesn't blame the fan base or belittle them.

I've been seriously affected by the economy so I can't make any 1 time donations right now or for the next several years while I build my savings back up. In fact I've had to cut back my giving level.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"