TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basketball progam: Back to the bad old days

Default Basketball progam: Back to the bad old days

As I watched the game last night, I had flash backs of the CY era. Getting beat by a less talented team, getting out coached and sitting through a boring event. I love our cheerleaders, players, etc. but our leadership is not serving them well. We are back to running the same format every game, same cheers at a the same time of the game, same events during time outs, etc.
    When TK was hired he did a lot to improve the game experience, but after a couple of years, it's back to the same old same old. I guess he has fallen into the "football" trap like our past AD's. I don't care how many beer you have before the game and at half, it still doesn't cover up the smell that is coming out of Hanner.

Last night we got completely out coached and beat by a bad team on our home court. Yea, I know we are young, etc. and I expected a down year, but we are not improving. If anything getting worse. Playing the 4 guard line up is clearly not working. Playing the 4 most talented players plus a big man isn't working either. Basketball is a team game. You build your team with players that work together and form a team unit. The sum of the parts should always be better than the parts. It's a five man team, not 5 one on one games.

Again last night we saw Simmons only get 8 minutes of playing time (4 points and 10 boards) and out produce O'Connell (0 points and 3 boards) in 17 minutes. Its been that way all year and that's just bad coaching.
    Jake has the worst shooting % on the team and played 31 minutes last night ( 2 points going 1 for 9). Again that just bad coaching.
    A team plays zone D against us and we have no idea what to do.

We could have taken 5 non starters last night and won. USA was not a good team.

I like our coaches and will be pulling for them to turn things around, but at this point in the season, our basketball program is a mess.

Default Re: Basketball progam: Back to the bad old days

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    As I watched the game last night, I had flash backs of the CY era. Getting beat by a less talented team, getting out coached and sitting through a boring event. I love our cheerleaders, players, etc. but our leadership is not serving them well. We are back to running the same format every game, same cheers at a the same time of the game, same events during time outs, etc.
    When TK was hired he did a lot to improve the game experience, but after a couple of years, it's back to the same old same old. I guess he has fallen into the "football" trap like our past AD's. I don't care how many beer you have before the game and at half, it still doesn't cover up the smell that is coming out of Hanner.

Last night we got completely out coached and beat by a bad team on our home court. Yea, I know we are young, etc. and I expected a down year, but we are not improving. If anything getting worse. Playing the 4 guard line up is clearing not working. Playing the 4 most talented players plus a big man isn't working either. Basketball is a team game. You build your team with players that work together and form a team unit. The sum of the parts should always be better than the parts. It's a five man team, not 5 one on one games.

Again last night we saw Simmons only get 8 minutes of playing time (4 points and 10 boards) and out produce O'Connell (0 points and 3 boards) in 17 minutes. Its been that way all year and that's just bad coaching.
    Jake has the worst shooting % on the team and played 31 minutes last night ( 2 points going 1 for 9). Again that just bad coaching.
    A team plays zone D against us and we have no idea what to do.

We could have taken 5 non starters last night and won. USA was not a good team.

I like our coaches and will be pulling for them to turn things around, but at this point in the season, our basketball program is a dumpster fire.
    can we trade next seasons recruite Q. Daniels for USA's 7'1" freshman center(the kid was good!), I'd make that trade all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    can we trade next seasons recruite Q. Daniels for USA's 7'1" freshman center(the kid was good!), I'd make that trade all day long.
    I would trade Daniels and our open scholarship for usa's 7 footer. He would look good sitting on our bench.

I was hopeful early season with the non-conference games. I knew this year would be down too, but I thought we would do better in the Sunbelt games. Didn't I read something where our team is the youngest team in all of Division 1? When you have players that young, the execution is going to go down at times. Hopefully the coaches can figure something out. I do think the following years will be good as these players develop.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiEagle View Post
    I was hopeful early season with the non-conference games. I knew this year would be down too, but I thought we would do better in the Sunbelt games. Didn't I read something where our team is the youngest team in all of Division 1? When you have players that young, the execution is going to go down at times. Hopefully the coaches can figure something out. I do think the following years will be good as these players develop.
    we are the youngest but no one cared on USA's team last night, nor will Troy Saturday. Here is a idea, how about taking some 2 point shots rather than thinking the only outside shot is a "3"????

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    we are the youngest but no one cared on USA's team last night, nor will Troy Saturday. Here is a idea, how about taking some 2 point shots rather than thinking the only outside shot is a "3"????
    Savannah State didn't care either. A below 500 team with no conf wins comes into our building and shoots 18/41 from the free throw line and still beats us by 6. That's bad basketball

I like the 2 point shot idea, maybe play an inside out game.

Our Offense looks too much like what CY was running before CMB took over minus the waiting for the last 5 seconds to shoot.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

There are very few off ball screens with baseline cuts/rubs/curls/dives to make the defenders work. Any semblance of a High-Low game is nonexistent. Our Bigs aren't taking elbow or short corner jumpers or receiving a feed on the low block and drop stepping to the basket with BAD intentions looking to cram it or go to the FT line.

CMB is learning as much as the players are and that's a tad scary to me. He learned from a real legend of Hoops in Bobby Cremins but Xs n Os was never Cremins' strong suit either. Byington does many things well and let's just see where this leads.

All that being said, count me in on those who find games difficult to watch.
    Aaron Stone
    GS Alum & Class of '95
    Health/PE Degree
    gsufans.com Donor
    gsufans.com member since 2007
    Sugar Hill, GA

ive given up watching us play this year. Nothing worse than watching Allsmiller chunk up bricks. Starting to look a lot like CYs teams

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    Our Offense looks too much like what CY was running before CMB took over minus the waiting for the last 5 seconds to shoot.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

There are very few off ball screens with baseline cuts/rubs/curls/dives to make the defenders work. Any semblance of a High-Low game is nonexistent. Our Bigs aren't taking elbow or short corner jumpers or receiving a feed on the low block and drop stepping to the basket with BAD intentions looking to cram it or go to the FT line.

CMB is learning as much as the players are and that's a tad scary to me. He learned from a real legend of Hoops in Bobby Cremins but Xs n Os was never Cremins' strong suit either. Byington does many things well and let's just see where this leads.

All that being said, count me in on those who find games difficult to watch.
    Amen brother

I want to see how this young group performs next season and how they progress this season, but I do worry that we may have just fallen behind in basketball over the last 20 years as far as facilities and budget to the point that we can't compete as well.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.