TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jaalon

Default Re: Jaalon

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    I would slow your roll on Werts. For most of the season, he made bad pitch reads or was scared to pitch it. He ran too horizontal and never made anyone really commit to him or the pitch back. I don’t really even think he was optioning the dive. I think those were straight predetermined calls.

He has potential, but he must realize that potential prior to saying he’s better than Raymond, Jaybo, or KE4.
    If BillyBob’s talking about tools, he’s probably right. Werts probably has better tools even than Greg. He’s close to J.R. with Greg-like feet.

But he hasn’t reached his ceiling yet.

The guy you all leave out is Jayson. His ability was so freakish that everyone forgets that he was the total package in 2007, completing 70% of his passes and putting up 3000 total yards.

Anyway, if Frazier truly pushes Werts (not like Upshaw pushed Ellison or Kado pushed him in 2017, but REALLY pushes him), then Frazier will be a great player.

Speaking of which, y’all should take a look at Arthur Brantley’s highlights.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

2. Default Re: Jaalon

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    My perception of our new offense (based only on UNM highlights), is their will be a lot of moving parts (pre and post snap), quick decisions and pitches to be made.... None of which I personally viewed to be Werts' strongest assets. So, yes, I anticipate he being challenged by Jaalon.
    Same here. New coach is gonna look at everyone. Werts is a good athlete, whether he's a QB in the new offense is yet to be determined. It will be about quick decision making. We've had some guys in the past that everyone assumed would be the guy, but it didn't work out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    If BillyBob’s talking about tools, he’s probably right. Werts probably has better tools even than Greg. He’s close to J.R. with Greg-like feet.

But he hasn’t reached his ceiling yet.

The guy you all leave out is Jayson. His ability was so freakish that everyone forgets that he was the total package in 2007, completing 70% of his passes and putting up 3000 total yards.

Anyway, if Frazier truly pushes Werts (not like Upshaw pushed Ellison or Kado pushed him in 2017, but REALLY pushes him), then Frazier will be a great player.

Speaking of which, y’all should take a look at Arthur Brantley’s highlights.
    Foster was great! I wish that 07 team would have made the playoffs.

Didn’t he return kicks that year too?

4. Default Re: Jaalon

Watch the ULL game. Werts had no problems in that one.

The plays should be more like that in 2018.
    Yes, I saw the Louisiana game (and he looked good), unfortunately I also saw 11 other games that left me with the impression that he cannot pitch the ball.

Yes, I saw the Louisiana game (and he looked good), unfortunately I also saw 11 other games that left me with the impression that he cannot pitch the ball.
    I'd be curious how much of that were just design of the plays for him not to pitch, or quite frankly, lack of good coaching to get him to the point of feeling comfortably pitching. He looked pretty good pitching the ball the last 2 to 3 games. Eventually, he will probably get to the comfort level of a KE4 where he will start faking pitches to throw a defender off balance. He definitely improved later in the season.

Werts still has a lot to improve. What’s promising is his ability to get better with experience and controlling the LOS. Still has many flaws especially ability to properly execute the PITCH.

Also what is encouraging is his durability considering his small frame. Bulk up 10-15 lbs and lean forward on tackles USA must

7. Default Re: Jaalon

This

8. Default Re: Jaalon

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Werts is the most complete option QB we have had since Greg Hill, if not Tracy Ham.
    I assume you just said that to see what reaction you would get?

You mean tools wise?
    Yes, just in terms of physical tools. He's a lot like Youyoute, and the reason I said "most complete quarterback" instead of "best QB" because it remains to be seen how he uses those tools, which will determined whether or not he's better than Ellison, but I have higher hopes for him than I had for Youyoute in early 2012.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 19th December 2017 at 06:03 PM.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

We ran a “slightly” different offense at the end of the season.

That offense resembled Fritz/DeBesse’s more closely, and there was much more space for Werts to pitch the ball without having to force it.
    Last edited by pete4256; 19th December 2017 at 07:10 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown