TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball to play SC this year

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskins View Post
    Um, Troupe plays on the wing. He posts up as much as Willie Powers.

CY is doing a phenomenal(I know you have trouble spelling) job selling the program and GSU as a whole. When it comes time for boosters to give the program money, CY is the perfect pitchman, and he will be the bigger reason for getting a new arena than Sammy will. I fully expect to compete for a title this season.

BTW, check your pm's half.
    Not sure if you caught CY's diagram of what he wants to do on offense, but I bet you see Troupe playing that 4 a lot this year. Or maybe he will run some of that phantom Point-Forward that you claim Chad Fleming ran.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Not sure if you caught CY's diagram of what he wants to do on offense, but I bet you see Troupe playing that 4 a lot this year. Or maybe he will run some of that phantom Point-Forward that you claim Chad Fleming ran.
    If he plays the 4 it is because we will have a 3 guard lineup. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskins View Post
    If he plays the 4 it is because we will have a 3 guard lineup. Nothing more.
    I fully expect us to have a 3 guard lineup most of the time. Atleast early on in the season. And from what CY was drawing up if I remember correctly the #4 isn't a "back to the basket" player anyways.

Here is the interview: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/17819/

I think Troupe fits the category of that guy running to the basket perfectly. Your trail post is probably going to be your "big man".

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I fully expect us to have a 3 guard lineup most of the time. Atleast early on in the season. And from what CY was drawing up if I remember correctly the #4 isn't a "back to the basket" player anyways.
    If we play this way, we need to have a beast at 5. Hopefully this Juco fits that mold.

Its the new coach phenomenon. You can see it all the time. A team seems to stagnant or on the decline, TPTB fire current coach and bring in someone new. Fans see potential and are optomistic (I know I am) this lasts as long as the team is winning or doesn't reach certain goals by the end of the season.
    I really hope (and think) CY will recruit very well given the facilities and budget. I don't know how well he'll do at game time, but I'm guessing he'll do as well as Price would've done if he stayed.

Now I'm really interested in these marquee games we have this year. It would be nice to bring in at least one of these a year to Hanner, but I don't see that ever happening. Hanner would have to be given a major upgrade or a new facility biult. I will give an example:

CofC is hosting UNC this year (they also have big names lined up for the next 4 years) and this game has become the biggest thing since Hugo to hit Charleston. The main reason for getting these games is the new arena (which is only ~5500 seats). I went to see GSU play there last year with some friends and it is a very nice place. It only cost ~45M in the center of downtown Charleston. So I think if GSU were to biuld a simlar arena (maybe have a larger upper section) and seat ~6500 we could get big name schools to do the same.

Just gotta find a way. Fundraiser, state funds (put a classroom or two in there), sponsors (under armor or nike, or whatever), and mabye some on bonds it could be done.

25M fundraiser, 5M state funds (in a few years the economy should improve, besides other schools have gotten funds in this crap economy), 5-10M sponsor deal, and another 5M from local bonds (to be paid off with ticket sales). Their money problem solved now lets put a plan together and biuld this thing!

ok, being a little optomistic. But my point is that funds can come from a variety of sources. Maybe the BOR won't approve 40M for a new facility, but they may give 5-10M. Maybe we don't raise 25M maybe only 15M. Who knows, but we should at least try.
    Just One More Time!!!

7. Default

Clemson, Illinois, Florida (twice), Florida State, plus two games with Duke we had to win to get to: examples of non-conference games we've played just in the last three years.

And I seem to remember a pretty good 6-8 guy we had as well recently: Louis Graham.

For anyone to compare what CY has done (which is NOTHING) to what Price has done is insane. Price had 10 great years and great players. Let CY coach a few games before you annoint him as the second coming.

8. Default

10 great years? Yea, right. How many tournament appearances? 1 first round loss to Charlotte in the NIT. How many SoCon tournament titles? 0. Socon regular season titles? 1 in 2001. 20-win seasons? 3 in 10 years. And 1 NCAA investigation to top it all off. That isn't great, that's mediocre. People jump on Sam Baker for being a mediocre AD, why is everyone so tentative to do the same for Price? He's a good guy I liked him, but unfortunately that doesn't matter, you have to win. The basketball program was stagnant and needed a change, Charlton Young has brought a little life back to the program and you're angry? You should be happy there's excitement about the basketball program for once.

Maybe that 7 foot receiver we signed this year can play two sports?

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    10 great years? Yea, right. How many tournament appearances? 1 first round loss to Charlotte in the NIT. How many SoCon tournament titles? 0. Socon regular season titles? 1 in 2001. 20-win seasons? 3 in 10 years. And 1 NCAA investigation to top it all off. That isn't great, that's mediocre. People jump on Sam Baker for being a mediocre AD, why is everyone so tentative to do the same for Price? He's a good guy I liked him, but unfortunately that doesn't matter, you have to win. The basketball program was stagnant and needed a change, Charlton Young has brought a little life back to the program and you're angry? You should be happy there's excitement about the basketball program for once.
    First off I think you are not giving Price enough credit and gord was giving him too much. I agree that you can't say that Price had a great run, but mediocre isn't it either. It was good but he just couldn't get over the hump. Not great but better than just mediocre.

I don't think anybody is saying that there shouldn't be excitement. But it's funny that CY is getting praised for the same thing Price was getting bashed for. And CY has already been refered to as "doing a phenomenal job despite not having a frontcourt and loss of scholorships" before he has ever even coached a game.