TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball to play SC this year

Quote Originally Posted by trueeagle98 View Post
    Its the new coach phenomenon. You can see it all the time. A team seems to stagnant or on the decline, TPTB fire current coach and bring in someone new. Fans see potential and are optomistic (I know I am) this lasts as long as the team is winning or doesn't reach certain goals by the end of the season.
    I really hope (and think) CY will recruit very well given the facilities and budget. I don't know how well he'll do at game time, but I'm guessing he'll do as well as Price would've done if he stayed.

Now I'm really interested in these marquee games we have this year. It would be nice to bring in at least one of these a year to Hanner, but I don't see that ever happening. Hanner would have to be given a major upgrade or a new facility biult. I will give an example:

CofC is hosting UNC this year (they also have big names lined up for the next 4 years) and this game has become the biggest thing since Hugo to hit Charleston. The main reason for getting these games is the new arena (which is only ~5500 seats). I went to see GSU play there last year with some friends and it is a very nice place. It only cost ~45M in the center of downtown Charleston. So I think if GSU were to biuld a simlar arena (maybe have a larger upper section) and seat ~6500 we could get big name schools to do the same.

Just gotta find a way. Fundraiser, state funds (put a classroom or two in there), sponsors (under armor or nike, or whatever), and mabye some on bonds it could be done.

25M fundraiser, 5M state funds (in a few years the economy should improve, besides other schools have gotten funds in this crap economy), 5-10M sponsor deal, and another 5M from local bonds (to be paid off with ticket sales). Their money problem solved now lets put a plan together and biuld this thing!

ok, being a little optomistic. But my point is that funds can come from a variety of sources. Maybe the BOR won't approve 40M for a new facility, but they may give 5-10M. Maybe we don't raise 25M maybe only 15M. Who knows, but we should at least try.
    You are forgetting the multitudes of BCS games the Citadel has hosted in a place that is as bad or worse than Hanner. The gym is not the reason we aren't getting big games.

well it wouldn't hurt and we need to anyway. I been to el Cid's place too and it is a real crap hole. I know they had some big teams come there, but I thought that was a while ago. I guess someone there had some connections to bring in those teams.
    Just One More Time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trueeagle98 View Post
    well it wouldn't hurt and we need to anyway. I been to el Cid's place too and it is a real crap hole. I know they had some big teams come there, but I thought that was a while ago. I guess someone there had some connections to bring in those teams.
    They get just about one big BCS game almost every year. This year they have Michigan State coming in. Think that game would sell out Hanner?

4. Default

Sorry, I guess I was comparing Price's run to what he inherited: 32 wins in the previous four years. Compared to what GSU had done before that, he did a pretty good job. Yes, his failure was not winning any tournaments, but a .550 win percentage here isn't that bad.

My point (similar to what half is saying) is that people are giving CY credit for stuff that they bashed Price.

5. Default

I figured I would just wait until the official schedule has been released before starting a new thread, but NC State released theirs today and Georgia Southern is playing them on Decmber 12 at 2:00 PM.

This game is actually not in their nice, new arena (RBC Center, home of the Carolina Hurricanes) but in Reynolds Coliseum, where they used to play. I think they do one random OOC game per year in there and try to get a loud, electric atmophere (I will reserve judgement on what there is to get excited about NC State basketball) since it is much smaller, but I'm sure GSUNCSU will correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure if it has been posted either, but the first home game is supposed to be Friday November 13th @ 7:30. Homecoming weekend....Friday night...should be a huge crowd in hanner.

Of course you guys who are hating the patsies don't want to know who it's against.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Not sure if it has been posted either, but the first home game is supposed to be Friday November 13th @ 7:30. Homecoming weekend....Friday night...should be a huge crowd in hanner.

Of course you guys who are hating the patsies don't want to know who it's against.
    I do...

Also...Did Wofford build a new basketball arena? I wonder b/c their gym has got to be smaller than Hanner and yet they're hosting S. Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    I do...
    I can't remember off the top of my head. Let me go find it...

CY puts together a top notch schedule in about 6 month's time.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    I do...

Also...Did Wofford build a new basketball arena? I wonder b/c their gym has got to be smaller than Hanner and yet they're hosting S. Carolina.
    Just about every team in the Socon plays big games at home on a yearly basis but us. That is going to change now that we have CY.